History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Hill United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Wandsworth, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4574 / 51°27'26"N

Longitude: -0.1859 / 0°11'9"W

OS Eastings: 526134

OS Northings: 174714

OS Grid: TQ261747

Mapcode National: GBR CC.ZS0

Mapcode Global: VHGR4.QMLN

Entry Name: East Hill United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 1 May 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226105

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422727

Location: Wandsworth, London, SW18

County: London

District: Wandsworth

Electoral Ward/Division: Fairfield

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Wandsworth

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Wandsworth St Anne with St Faith

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Fulham

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

EAST HILL
TQ 2574
1207-/12/10042 East Hill United
Reformed Church
II
Former Congregational church, now United Reform. Designed by John G. Stapleton and begun
in 1859. The earliest part of the church now forms the broad north-facing transept. Nave of four
bays with lower, lean-to side aisles built from 1876, possibly to the designs of Stapleton. London
stock brick with limestone dressing. Roof originally of slate. Decorated Gothic style. Four-light
east window with two quatrefoils and sexfoil above flanked by similar two-light windows in aisle
walls. Small stone arcade divided by carved colonette either side of main entrance. Pitched
half-hipped roof to porch with tiny rose window in gablet. Porch supported on paired stone
colonnettes. North transept: large Decorated window in gable end, five-lights with quatrefoils and
trefoils above. Window flanked by brick buttresses terminating in stone carved pinnacles; spherical
triangle windows either side of these. INTERIOR. Baltic pine roof trusses with chamfered ties
span nave roof and two-bay transept; aisles have separate simple timber tongue and groove boarded
roofs. Stone arcade of four bays with carved capitals to round columns, and roundels in the
spandrels. Particularly elaborate pier at junction of transept with nave: square, chamfered pier with
paired colonnettes. Carved wooden fronts to galleries in transept carried on cast-iron colonnettes.
Fine carved stone and alabaster pulpit. Organ, 1902 by Hele and Co. SOURCE: The First 100
Years at East Hill, souvenir booklet.

East Hill United Reform Church Hall. Brick with limestone dressing. Rose window in gable end
flanked by stepped buttresses terminating in carved stone pinnacles. Arcade of thin lancets with
trefoil heads below string course, central four are plain glazed. Central entrance porch with pointed
moulded arches supported on stone colonettes and carved stone spandrel. Flanked by short brick
buttresses with stone coping. Interior rebuilt after bomb damage. Listed for group value with the
adjacent church.


Listing NGR: TQ2613474714

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.