This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7489 / 53°44'56"N
Longitude: -2.0218 / 2°1'18"W
OS Eastings: 398662
OS Northings: 428059
OS Grid: SD986280
Mapcode National: GBR GTB2.2V
Mapcode Global: WHB8D.X1FB
Plus Code: 9C5VPXXH+H7
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas A' Becket
Listing Date: 1 November 1966
Last Amended: 12 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226170
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423307
Location: Heptonstall, Calderdale, HX7
Civil Parish: Heptonstall
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Heptonstall St Thomas a Becket and St Thomas the Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 9828 SE
Church of St. Thomas à Becket (formerly listed as Old Church air St Thomas a Becket)
Church, Ruin lacking roof. Founded 1260, fabric of this date survives in tower,
raised mid C15 when bells were inserted c.1440. C14 nave and south aisle, north
aisle replaced C15 by another nave and north aisle having the unusual feature of
2 chancels and 2 chantry chapels. In 1617 a gable with domestic style window
was inserted to light one of 2 lofts. South porch rebuilt with 2 new buttresses
1927. Large well coursed finely dressed stone. West tower, double nave,
chancels and aisles, south porch. Perpendicular plinth with chamfered weathered
course runs round the whole church. Embattled tower has east stair turret.
Sheer wall with angle buttresses. West face has 2-over-3 light pointed arched
window with cusped heads and quatrefoil to apex. Hoodmould has beak head and
human mask stops. North and south faces have smaller 2-light traceried window
with clear break in stonework over. This added stage has slightly flatter
arched 2-light windows to each face with traceried heads to belfry. False
machicolation to embattled parapet with chamfered moulded castellation of
similar section to plinth. North and east face has wide circle for clock of
1809 now in new church (q.v.). Stair turret breaks forward and is clasped by
south aisle which has 2-light window with quatrefoil. Similar window to north
aisle is set in deeper chamfered surround. Diagonal buttresses to aisle of 4
bays articulated by offset buttresses. 2-light windows with traceried heads set
in square deeply chamfered surround. Porch set in 1st bay has diagonal
buttresses, richly moulded pointed arch doorway, coped gable. Some of roof
slates are reused gravestones. Diagonal buttress at junction with 2-bay chancel
which had lower roof than nave with sanctus bell cote set at junction of 2
roofs. Pointed arched priests door, 2-light windows. East end has 2 gables
(with lean-to roofs to aisles) which have identical 3-light windows with
traceried heads. Original east window has elegant plain 2-centred arched window
retaining only 2 tall mullions and transom. Added chancel window (the northern
most) has flatter arched window mullioned and transomed with 5 arched lights to
lower part. Hoodmould has devils' face stops and shield to apex. Buttress with
carved crocket to offsets. To right, 3-light arched window to north aisle has
cusped lights with cavetto mullions with 4 cusped lights over and quatrefoil to
apex, possibly early C16. North return wall has windows in double chamfered
surrounds with straight lintels of 2 and 3 lights. One survives with arched
lights with sunken spandrels similar to east window, one other earlier with 2
cusped lights carved on lintel. Buttress at division of nave and chancel has
many offsets. Set in 4th bay of nave is gable with 3 over 5-light mullioned and
transomed window with hoodmould with decorative label stops. Coped gable,
kneelers and ball finials. North door in 1st bay of nave has semi-circular
arched doorway with broad chamfered surround.
Interior: 4-bay naves with octagonal piers. Those to south aisle and nave rise
from square bases with chamfered corners decorated with carved faces, shields
and hearts. Moulded capitals decorated with alternate squares and circles in
high relief. North arcade differs with octagonal bases and moulded capitals.
Chancel arches of differing angles. One capital engraved with chi-rho.
Northernmost chancel arch has cable moulded capital. Lower 2-bay chancels have
similar columns. Corbel with carved grotesque. Piscina to original chancel.
Tower arch rises from moulded capitals, chamfered surround with broach stop of
similar design to northernmost chancel arch. 2 rooflines may indicate the tower
arch was altered when tower was raised and original north aisle was altered.
Pointed arch doorway to south inner wall of tower with 3 others at various
stages of tower. Porch has trefoiled pointed transverse arches to roof.
Scheduled Ancient Monument. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding (London 1979),
Listing NGR: SD9866228059
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings