History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Conington, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2768 / 52°16'36"N

Longitude: -0.0665 / 0°3'59"W

OS Eastings: 532011

OS Northings: 266059

OS Grid: TL320660

Mapcode National: GBR K4Y.806

Mapcode Global: VHGMB.S1QD

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226274

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423476

Location: Conington, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Conington

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Conington St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
St Ives

Listing Text

TL 36NW CONINGTON SCHOOL LANE
(South Side)

5/13 Parish Church
31.8.62 of St. Mary

II*


Parish church. Fragments of re-used C12 stone. Tower, C14,
nave rebuilt and tower buttressed c.1737 by Dingley Askham,
inscription on wall monument 'in the Year 1737 he rebuilt this
Church'. Family vault c.1740 south of nave and at half-basement
level. Chancel rebuilt 1871, by W.M. Fawcett. Restorations
1902 and 1911 when the broach spire was rebuilt. Walls of
pebble and limestone rubble, partly stuccoed; limestone and
clunch dressings; ashlar spire, C18 red, and white brick. Lead
and plain tile roofs. North elevation. Chancel with angle
buttresses and parapet gable, two, Y-tracery windows flank
central two-centred arched priest's door. Nave of C18 red brick
with rusticated window jambs originally stuccoed with limestone
imposts and key blocks. Large splayed red brick buttresses to
tower; tower walls stuccoed to belfry height with restored
two-trefoiled-light belfry window with quatrefoil, plain
parapet; octagonal spire with roll-moulded angles and gabled
spire-lights on cardinal faces. Five rainwater heads c.1737.
Interior. Nave windows flanked internally by elliptical-headed
recesses with keystones each with monuments to the Askham and
Cotton families, (see R.C.H.M.), of note, one to Dame Alice
Cotton, 1657 by Joshua Marshall (1629-1678); to Robert Cotton
1697 with signature 'G. Gibbons fecit', incised on a palm leaf
at the base of the medallion, the only known monument to be
signed by Grinling Gibbons; to Francis and Mary Askham 1748 and
to Dingley Askham, 1781. For other monuments and floor slabs
see R.C.H.M. Gallery with front of turned balusters, c.1737.
Boarded C19 barrel roofs. Reset piscena C14 in chancel. Bell
thought to be by William Brazier of Norwich c.1376 one of the
earliest in the country. Reset C14 glass.
Cole MSS CRO
R.C.H.M. West Cambs Mon.1, p.55
Pevsner. Buildings of England p.324
Raven J.J. Church Bells of Cambs p.12-13
Gunnis, R. Dictionary of British Sculptors pp. 167,254


Listing NGR: TL3201166059

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.