History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Conington Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Conington, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2806 / 52°16'50"N

Longitude: -0.0684 / 0°4'6"W

OS Eastings: 531866

OS Northings: 266470

OS Grid: TL318664

Mapcode National: GBR K4R.TSG

Mapcode Global: VHGM4.RYP3

Plus Code: 9C4X7WJJ+6J

Entry Name: Conington Hall

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265942

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423471

Location: Conington, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Conington

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Conington St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in


(North West Side)
5/11 Conington Hall


Hall. c.1730 built for Dingley Askharo (d.1781) , altered c.1820 and c.1876. Red brick, and white brick; slate roofs. Three storeys reduced to two storeys c.1820 and altered later in C19 by rebuilding of third storey to front range, moulded brick cornice and bands between floors added, and window arches replaced. Original plan of two parallel ranges with recessed side entrances and seven 'bay' symmetrical facades; service entrance to south-west has an original early C18 doorcase and door, main entrance to north-east remodelled with glazed doors
and Tuscan limestone portico c.1830 with Venetian window above. South-east elevation; flight of stone steps to first floor garden casement window with stone architrave and cartouche with Cotton arms. Six, twelve-paned, recessed hung sash windows with patterned moulded brick segmental arches. Seven similar but smaller second floor windows, and seven third floor six-paned hung sash windows. Pierced brick parapet. Side stacks and internal stack. Interior. Early C18 details includes pine closed string staircase with barley twist balusters and turned balusters to service stair rising to attic floor and with
flights to service entrance and basement, C18 raised and fielded panelling to morning room with double moulded cornice, marble chimney pieces; basement arrangement of kitchen with cooking hearth, laundry, pantries and brick vaulted wine cellar complete. Other interior details C19. The house was probably built shortly after Dingley Askharo married Frances, grand-daughter of Sir Thomas Cotton in 1729. William Cole describes it as 'a very handsome new house' in 1745. Part of the village was removed for the park.
R.C.H.M. West Carobs Mon.2, p.57
Pevsner. Buildings of England p.324

Listing NGR: TL3186666470

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.