History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory and Attached Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Sudborough, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4285 / 52°25'42"N

Longitude: -0.5775 / 0°34'39"W

OS Eastings: 496815

OS Northings: 282116

OS Grid: SP968821

Mapcode National: GBR DX0.QSY

Mapcode Global: VHFNT.Y715

Entry Name: The Old Rectory and Attached Outbuildings

Listing Date: 31 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226484

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423803

Location: Sudborough, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Sudborough

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Sudborough All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Sudborough

Listing Text

SP9682
10/148


SUDBOROUGH
MAIN STREET
(South side)
The Old Rectory and attached
outbuildings


GV II


Rectory, now house. Early C18 origins, altered by Thomas Telford, probably late
C18/early C19, largely rebuilt by William Abbott of St. Neots c.1825, extended
by J. Easton of Titchmarsh c.1846. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar facade.
Welsh and Collyweston slate roofs. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys. Main front to
garden is a 5-window range. 4 bays to right are of c.1825 with sash windows
reducing at first floor; all with glazing bars under stone lintels with
keyblocks. Centre 2 bays have a large mid C19 stone bay window, to ground floor,
with similar sash windows above and moulded cornice to the parapet. One-window
range to left is also mid C19 with tall tripartite sash windows, with glazing
bars, under stone lintels. Hipped roof to 4 bays to right and separate hipped
roof to left bay. Brick and stone stacks at ridge and ends. Entrance front
facing Main Street is a 3-window range, c.1825, with central 2-storey porch
breaking forward with a recessed glazed door with arch-head fanlight. Sash
windows with glazing bars similar to main front. Quadrant attached to right of
this elevation has large stair window with glazing bars and shutters, and links
to earlier C18 range, now part outbuildings. This range has Collyweston slate
roof and 3 hipped eaves dormers facing into courtyard at side of main house.
Third stage of courtyard is formed by range of single-storey outbuildings, with
blank wall to garden, attached to left of main front. Interior: has early C19
staircase with stick balustrade and some early/mid C19 fireplaces. Included for
group value.
(Colvin, H.M., Biographical Dictionary of British Architects (1660-1840), p.820;
Northamptonshire County Records Office, Architectural Drawings Collection).


Listing NGR: SP9681582116

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.