History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sudborough, Northamptonshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4284 / 52°25'42"N

Longitude: -0.5782 / 0°34'41"W

OS Eastings: 496768

OS Northings: 282108

OS Grid: SP967821

Mapcode National: GBR DX0.QMH

Mapcode Global: VHFNT.X7P7

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226485

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423805

Location: Sudborough, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Sudborough

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Sudborough All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Sudborough

Listing Text

SP9682
10/149
23/05/67


SUDBOROUGH
MAIN STREET
(South side)
Church of All Saints


GV II*


Church. Probably C12 origins, mainly C13 with C15 alterations, restored 1808,
1830 and 1870-1. Squared coursed limestone with Collyweston slate and lead
roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, transepts, south porch and west tower. South
elevation of chancel is a 3-window range with one-, 2- and 3-light square-head
windows. Single-light window to far left has carved label stops, other windows
have un-cut label stops. 2-stage buttresses with cusped gablets to centre and
right. Priest door to left. Shallow lean-to projection below right window.
Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets, finial and large truncated pinnacle,
with corbel below, at end. 4-light square-head east window. North elevation of
chancel is a 3-window range similar to the south but with tall low-side window
to far right. South elevation of south transept has 4-light window with cusped
Y-tracery and 3 spherical triangles above. Steeply gabled roof with Collyweston
slates. 2-light square-head east window. North elevation of north transept has
similar window to south transept, restored C19. Similar gabled roof and 2-light
east window. South aisle of 2 bays, one-window range, with one Perpendicular
3-light window to right under 4-centred arch head. Lean-to roof with plain
ashlar parapets. Similar 3-light west window. Gabled porch to left bay has
moulded outer doorway with 2-centred arch head and semi-circular responds, and
moulded inner doorway with niche above. North aisle is of 2 bays similar to
south aisle with 3-light Perpendicular window to left, restored C19. North door
to right, with 2-centred arch head, roll-moulding and one order of shafts.
Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. Similar 3-light west window, restored
C19. Nave has steeply gabled roof with Collyweston slates. 3-stage west tower
with 2-stage clasping buttresses to first stage. 3-light west window with
cusping and spherical triangles, all restored C19; original carved label stops.
Single lancets to north and south face of second stage and small roundel with
cusping to west face. 2-light bell-chamber openings, to each face of upper
stage, have Y-tracery and cusping. Corbel table with plain ashlar parapet above
and crocketed pinnacles at corners. Small pyramid roof with Collyweston slates
and wrought-iron weathervane. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of double-chamfered
and hollowed arches with circular piers. Double chamfered chancel arch with
octagonal responds and triple-chamfered and hollowed tower arch with hollowing
carried through the capitals of the responds. Double-chamfered arches with
semi-circular responds, at each pier spacing. Shallow arched recesses to east
wall of transept. C19 roof structures. Piscina and sedilia to right of altar
with triple shafts, fillets and head-stops. Piscina in south transept. Octagonal
font with panelled cover. Monuments: Sir Robert Vere died 1249, effigy of
cross-legged knight in recess with shallow-moulded arch and shafts to right of
altar. William West died 1390 and wife, 2 brass figures, with children
alongside, on east wall of north transept. Various C17 and C18 inscribed tablets
to nave and chancel floor. Stained glass: fragments of pre-C19 glass in east
window of south transept. C19 stained glass to south-west chancel window, and
east window of north transept. East window is by Kempe. Clock in tower c.1740,
given by Lady Elizabeth Germain of Drayton House has striking mechanism only and
no face. The cruciform plan probably originates from the C12 church. A stone
inscribed with a Saxon cross was discovered during the C19 restoration.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.420; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3,
p.245).


Listing NGR: SP9676882108

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.