This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5454 / 51°32'43"N
Longitude: -0.0306 / 0°1'50"W
OS Eastings: 536656
OS Northings: 184782
OS Grid: TQ366847
Mapcode National: GBR K2.8Y7
Mapcode Global: VHGQV.FF44
Entry Name: Church of St Mary of Eton with St Augustine
Listing Date: 24 April 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226605
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423956
Location: Hackney, London, E9
Electoral Ward/Division: Hackney Wick
Built-Up Area: Hackney
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary of Eton Hackney
Church of England Diocese: London
1. EASTWAY E9
Church of St Mary of Eton
with St Augustine
TQ 3684 27/198 24.4.51.
Church. Founded by the Eton College mission in 1880, the present church was built 1890-2 to the designs of George Frederick Bodley, under the title Bodley and Garner. Enlarged 1910-12 at the west end, with vestries and tower added by Cecil Hare, Bodley's successor. Red brick with Bath stone dressing; high-pitched slated roof. Decorated style with reticulated or flamboyant tracery. INTERIOR: 8-bay Nave and chancel under one wooden cradle roof, with north and south arcades on tall rectangular piers, with single chamfered outer and inner arches, the latter resting on corbels. Narrow passage aisles and ambulatory behind altar. Screen by Bodley, now at the west end; altar by W. Ellery Anderson, 1930. Lady Chapel at south-east corner with decorated ceiling. Main east window and east window of the Lady Chapel by Francis Spear, 1953. West end: font, 1891, in projecting baptistry with decorated ceiling and separated from the nave with Bodley screen. The screen is painted gold and dark green, with intricate Gothic tracery. Historical Note: The church forms the focus of the Eton College Mission founded by William How, first Bishop of Wakefield, in 1880. The Clergy and social workers, mostly old Etonians, lived in the ancillary buildings which were built 1892-1912. In 1953 the parish of St Mary's joined that of St Augustine's and the Etonian connection died out.
This church has an important place in Bodley's work, one of the last in his late group of churches and with a special function in religious and social outreach.
Listing NGR: TQ3665684782
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings