History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stopham House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stopham, West Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9552 / 50°57'18"N

Longitude: -0.5378 / 0°32'16"W

OS Eastings: 502796

OS Northings: 118329

OS Grid: TQ027183

Mapcode National: GBR GJD.2VJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 96RL.B8X

Entry Name: Stopham House

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227054

English Heritage Legacy ID: 424460

Location: Stopham, Chichester, West Sussex, RH20

County: West Sussex

Civil Parish: Stopham

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Stopham St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Pulborough

Listing Text

TQ Ol NW STOPHAM

14/147 Stopham House

22.2.55 II


House, now flats. Originally called Ford House. The Barttelot family which owns it
is one of the oldest families in Sussex and has been established in this Parish since
at least 1395, when they intermarried with the Stopham family, who previously
occupied a house on the site, and probably before this. The Elizabethan or earlier
building was rebuilt by Walter Barttelot (Smyth) in 1887, though some older work was
said to have been preserved within. The centre of the west front of the present
building dates from this rebuilding. It has 2 storeys and 7 windows. Ashlar.
Stringcourse, modillion cornice and parapet. Two bays of 3 windows each on both
floors. Glazing bars intact. Contemporary doorway, moved here from the east front
in the C19, with fluted Doric pilasters, pediment and semi-circular fanlight. The
remainder of the house was altered or rebuilt in 1842 and 1865. The west front has
5 windows, and a projecting centre portion of 3 windows, with a pediment over and
ground floor additions. To the north is a service wing of 5 windows, probably of
2 storeys originally but now of 3 storeys. The south wing with the ball-room was
added in 1898.


Listing NGR: TQ0279618329

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.