History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Langham Hilton

A Grade II Listed Building in City of Westminster, Westminster

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5177 / 51°31'3"N

Longitude: -0.1439 / 0°8'38"W

OS Eastings: 528880

OS Northings: 181498

OS Grid: TQ288814

Mapcode National: GBR CB.V3

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.G38V

Plus Code: 9C3XGV94+3C

Entry Name: The Langham Hilton

Listing Date: 22 November 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227056

English Heritage Legacy ID: 424601

Location: West End, Westminster, London, W1B

County: Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: All Souls Langham Place

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 8 October 2021 to update the name and address and to reformat the text to current standards

TQ 2881 NE and SE
45/135; 56/151

CITY OF WESTMINSTER
PORTLAND PLACE (west side) Wl
No 1C (The Langham Hilton)

(Formerly listed as The Langham (BBC))

22.11.73

G.V.
II

Hotel once offices. c.1864-65 by Giles and Murray, built as the Langham Hotel. Stock brick with Portland stone dressings. Vast "grand" hotel of the 1860s hotel boom, designed in heavy Italianate style with some late Medieval details, French pavilion roofs and east wing with corner tower.

Five main storeys on basements and dormered attics. Symmetrical north front with seven-window wide centre flanked by three-window pavilions. Central prostyle stone porch with arched openings flanked by pilasters carrying entablature and balustraded parapet. Recessed semicircular arched sashes linked by continuous carved impost bands; canted stone bay windows to ground and first floor of pavilions with arched sashes flanked by pilasters carrying entablature. The north east corner of east wing is carried up as square belvedere. East front to Langham Place has large central two storeyed bow window. Rusticated ground and first floors; stringcourses and heavy crowning cornice with attic windows in frieze below, alternating with carved panels of mythological animals, and balustraded parapet above. Segmental pedimented dormers in pavilion roofs. Lofty chimney stacks. This vast pile closes the south axis of Portland Place.

Listing NGR: TQ2887981513

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.