History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wainsgate Baptist Church and Attached Sunday School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chiserley, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7556 / 53°45'19"N

Longitude: -2.0041 / 2°0'14"W

OS Eastings: 399828

OS Northings: 428798

OS Grid: SD998287

Mapcode National: GBR GTF0.XG

Mapcode Global: WHB87.5VYS

Entry Name: Wainsgate Baptist Church and Attached Sunday School

Listing Date: 29 April 1982

Last Amended: 12 December 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227399

English Heritage Legacy ID: 425149

Location: Wadsworth, Calderdale, HX7

County: Calderdale

Civil Parish: Wadsworth

Built-Up Area: Chiserley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hebden Bridge St James

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Hebden Bridge

Listing Text

SD 92NE WADSWORTH C.P. WAINSGATE LANE
SD 998287

7/265 Wainsgate Baptist Church
and attached Sunday School
29.4.82 (formerly listed as Wainsgate
Baptist church under Old Town)
G.V. II*

Chapel and sunday school, dated 1859. Hammer-dressed stone, ashlar dressings,
rusticated quoins, slate roof. 2 storeys. 3-bay symmetrical front with
pedimented gable. Doorway with panelled pilasters, panel over containing
fanlight and spandrels capped by moulded cornice; date plaque above. 4-bay
return continued by school range has similar windows to front; archivolt-arched
windows with console keys in architraves. Moulded eaves cornice. The school
range has console-bracketed eaves and shaped kneelers to gable end, quoins.
Possibly reuses materials from the 1806 chapel and manse. West elevation has 2
doorways with monolithic jambs and cornices on consoles and 2 bays of 3-light
windows, taller on 1st floor. Simple Venetian window in gable.
Interior: Complete c.1860 furnishings. Gallery with curved end on pews,
ornately carved oak rails to platform by Mitchells of Halifax. Ornate warble
pulpit with alabaster panels, good bas relief designed by Anthony Welsh 1891 and
donated by the Mitchell family who gave the stained glass, by Powell Brothers of
Leeds between 1859-1900. The archway of the deep organ loft has ornate Oinceaux
work. The organ loft wagon roof retains original star spangled azure colour
scheme but the original elaborate stencilwork decoration of the body of the
chapel has been overpainted. Ornate, partly pendant pierced-work rose vent in
centre of ceiling. Wall monuments to John Fawcett and to Richard Smith first
minister who died in 1817. Wainsgate is an early Baptist site, the chapel being
founded in 1759 by the famous Baptist preacher and author John Fawcett DD, also
associated with Heptonstall Slack and Hebden Bridge Chapels (q.q.v.), whose tomb
(q.v.) is in the graveyard.


Listing NGR: SD9982828798

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.