History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Quadrant

A Grade II Listed Building in City of Westminster, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5101 / 51°30'36"N

Longitude: -0.1365 / 0°8'11"W

OS Eastings: 529415

OS Northings: 180666

OS Grid: TQ294806

Mapcode National: GBR FD.JV

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.L95P

Entry Name: The Quadrant

Listing Date: 30 May 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227631

English Heritage Legacy ID: 425542

Location: Westminster, London, W1B

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St James Piccadilly

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2980 NW & NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER REGENT STREET Wl
70/91 ; 71/4 (East side)
30-5-72 Nos 52 to 100 (even) and
74A THE QUADRANT (inclu-
ding Nos 9, 19, 27 and
29 Glasshouse Street and
Nos 5 to 17 (odd) and 14
to 18 (even) Quadrant
Arcade and No 15A Air St
GV II
Quadrant of offices, shops and arcade. The north eastern half of
Sir Reginald Blomfield's grandiose rebuilding of Nash's Regent
Street Quadrant. Designed from c. 1911, taking Norman Shaw's
neo-Baroque set piece of the Quadrant elevation of his Piccadilly
Hotel as key and scale and completed 1920-23. Stone faced, slate
roofs. Podium embracing ground floor and mezzanine. 3 storeys
above and dormered steep mansard. The podium has bold pulvinated
rustication to its articulating piers, ashlar upper floors with
windows in flat surrounds; rich modillion eaves cornice; continuous
range of dormers and bronze cresting to ridge; prominent banded and
corniced stone stacks. The penetration of Air Street is marked by
a rusticated semicircular arched bridge with open giant 3
storey Doric columned loggia above, a la Somerset House. The
composition is terminated by slightly advanced pavilions with
concave, pyramidal cupola-roofs. The Quadrant Arcade has 2 storey
glass fronted shops divided by coupled pilasters, Ionic to ground
floor and of Tower of Winds derivation to 1st floor. No 68, The
café Royal, was rebuilt behind Blomfield's facade by Sir Henry
Tanner, 1923-28, retaining elements of the original decoration of
the 1865-72 caff Royal by Archer and Green, in particular the
sumptuous gilt caryatids and mirrors in the Grill Room.


Listing NGR: TQ2941580666

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.