This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5086 / 51°30'30"N
Longitude: -0.1981 / 0°11'53"W
OS Eastings: 525143
OS Northings: 180389
OS Grid: TQ251803
Mapcode National: GBR C8.NQD
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.JB3V
Plus Code: 9C3XGR52+CP
Entry Name: Coronet Cinema
Listing Date: 11 August 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1227644
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425558
Location: Campden, Kensington and Chelsea, London, W11
County: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Campden
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George, Campden Hill
Church of England Diocese: London
The following building shall be added.
TQ 25/80 SW NOTTING HILL GATE
Theatre, now cinema. 1898 by WGR Sprague Painted once rendered stone, roof not
seen. Rectangular plan on corner site, this expressed externally and internally.
Facade of three and four storeys dominated by tall corner cupola with enraged
ionic columns on heavy console brackets. Entrance under. Giant order of fluted
composite pilasters rises through two or three storeys above plain ground floor
treated as a classical base denoted by deep balustraded band; order surmounted
by delicate plaster frieze of swags under dentiled cornice and high balustraded
parapet. Corner has three round-arched bays with decorative plasterwork in spandrels
and tripartite windows under broken pediments. Symmetrical nine-bay elevation
(of 4 storeys) to Notting Hill Gate, with three-bay pediments with cartouche decoration
to each side and round-arched pediments over some second-floor windows. Three
bay 3-storey elevation to Hillgate St with decorated pediment and broken pediments
to first floor.
interior. Circular foyer under cupola leads to high auditoruim with two balconies.
Large stage behind proscenium, with acanthus moulding and fluting under delicate
rococo-style plasterwork. To each side segmental pediment with cartouches and
wreathed composite columns formerly framed boxes. Further plasterwork on balcony
fronts, the lower with fruity swags and putti, the upper restrained stylised wreaths.
Pilasters to side walls in ascending sequence of Tuscan moulded Tuscan and Ionic.
Stalls decorated with Vitruvian scroll and trophies, first floor with shell decoration;
gallery retains original bench seating. Ceiling supported on heavy console brackets,
its decoration a series of linked gilded wreathes with good 1930s light fittings.
Recommended as a rare surviving example of a London suburban theatre and opera
house, and as the only intact suburban work by the important theatre architect theatre architect
The Builder 15 January 1898
Survey of London, vol XXXVII, 1973, p.41
Listing NGR: TQ2514380389
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings