This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6364 / 51°38'10"N
Longitude: -2.3177 / 2°19'3"W
OS Eastings: 378107
OS Northings: 193111
OS Grid: ST781931
Mapcode National: GBR 0MG.8V4
Mapcode Global: VH95G.S42D
Plus Code: 9C3VJMPJ+HW
Entry Name: Newark Park
Listing Date: 6 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1227685
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425626
Location: Ozleworth, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL12
Civil Parish: Ozleworth
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Wotton-under-Edge with Ozleworth
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 79 SE
5/136 Newark Park
Former hunting lodge enlarged to private house. Built c1550 for
Sir Nicholas Poyntz of Iron Acton, reputedly with stone from the
destroyed Kingswood Abbey, enlarged in early C17 into H-plan,
formed into square and remodelled by James Wyatt in Gothick style
probably in 1790s for the Rev. Lewis Clutterbuck, service wing
added 1897; bequeathed to National Trust 1949, restored since 1970.
Incised render on scored ashlar with string courses and moulded
plinth, with stepped buttresses to south and east and embattled
parapet added by Wyatt, double range hipped slate roof with
internal slopes in concrete tiles and surmounted by a dragon
weathervane thought also to be c1550. Large lateral stone stack
to north of original east range, ridge stack to centre of west
range. Originally a rectangular block facing east with projecting
stair tower on west side, of 4 storeys including half-basement.
Formed into H-shape with west wing in early C17, centre formed into
axial hall with semi-circular ends and axial porches by Wyatt,
making a square block. Service wing added on north side, of 2
storeys and in sympathetic style. Original style remains on east
front with 3 bays, centre canted out over doorway in Renaissance
design with small fluted columns on tall panelled plinth, and
entablature and pediment with roundel. Steps up from garden
bridge entrance to former basement kitchen and original servants'
quarters, and both lower storeys have 2-light stone mullions
flanking central bay. Two-light stone mullion and transoms, with
2 transoms to second floor, flank central bay with 3-light in
centre and additional side lights on second floor. These two
floors apparently originally both only one large banqueting room,
with garderobes and fireplaces on north wall still mostly
surviving. Large bay window now on stairs with painted glass of
late C18. South front completely remodelled by Wyatt with two 12-
pane sashes on each side of central triple sash, all with square
hoodmoulds, and with embattled central canted porch with pointed
arches to each face, panelled reveal to central recessed half-
glazed double doors with 8-pane side lights on main wall plane.
West front has 12-pane sashes also. Interior retains many
original features from each period if development. East range has
original stone moulded Tudor fireplaces revealed on 3 floors on
north wall, including large kitchen fireplace, and retains several
former external windows in similar style to east front, now on
internal walls. West wing has remains of vaulted long gallery on
upper floor. Axis between now filled on ground floor by long hall
with semi-circular ends, cross columns in scagliola, with ram's
head and swag frieze all round. Several ground floor rooms also
retain plasterwork by Wyatt. Cantilevered moulded stone stair
with wreathed and ramped handrail and stick iron balustrade leads
up from hall to east bay window and back across to west wing.
Basement servants' quarters contain one stone Tudor archway, and
C18 brick vaulted wash room with stone sink, bakery, laundry and
wine cellar. The hunting lodge was built for one of Henry VIII's
courtiers, who married into the equally wealthy Berkeley family,
and is important as an early attempt at the symmetry and grandeur
developed in the slightly later "high" or prodigy houses, with its
Renaissance detail in particular showing its origins in the court
circle of masons rather than in local traditional styles.
(Country Life, 3 October 1985, article by Richard Haslam; David
Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds,
Listing NGR: ST7810793111
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings