This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5135 / 51°30'48"N
Longitude: -0.1407 / 0°8'26"W
OS Eastings: 529118
OS Northings: 181033
OS Grid: TQ291810
Mapcode National: GBR DC.LM
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.H7Z3
Entry Name: Libertys
Listing Date: 22 November 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1227689
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425632
Location: Westminster, London, W1B
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: West End
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Anne Soho
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2981 SW REGENT STREET W1
Nos. 208-222 and 208A
Department store block. 1925-26 by E.T. and E.S. Hall in Beaux Arts classical style; internal alterations of 1970s and 1980s. Portland stone faced block enlivened by incurving the front and use of sculpture. Rear elevation upper floors clad in white tiles. 5 storeys (ground and 1st floors/mezzanine as podium) and tall attic, concealed roof. Symmetrical elevation with 9 bays wide hemicycle above mezzanine flanked by single bay pavilions with concave corner treatment. Ground floor and mezzanine arranged as 3 major bays, between pavilions with central entrance, Swedish granite, bronze shop windows, wood framed door and display windows in triple groups; stone mullioned mezzanines with bronze guard rails in front, articulated by Roman Doric columns carrying balustrated entablature with bronze enriched obelisk dies. Rusticated piers to ground floor and mezzanine of pavilions with bowed out corner entrances, the obelisk balustrade reappearing over them. Upper floors of hemicycle have recessed metal casement windows articulated by giant engaged Ionic colonnade carrying enriched entablature above which rises a deep blind attic. Fully sculpted relief sculpted by Charles Doman and Thomas J Clapperton celebrating the wealth of distant countries being borne by camel, elephant and ship to Great Britain with figure of Britannia as centre piece, animated by stone figures peering over parapet. The pavilions have tripartite grouped windows to upper floors flanked by panelled quoin piers; main cornice broken forward over-them and bent back in over concave corners; attic storey with blocking course raised in shallow solid pediment, to front and side elevations. On the ledge above the entrance are perched four Japanese "Iohan", disciples of Buddha, which came from the original shop.
INTERIOR: No 208, formerly a bank, retains marble columns and ceiling with triglyphs and paterae. Liberty's retains original oak joinery to the lifts, door surrounds, panelling on first floor and double oak staircase to basement. Original main staircase reploaced by escalators in 1970s and suspended ceilings inserted in 1980s.
The original shop was opened at 218A Regent Street in 1875 by Arthur Lasenby Liberty.
Listing NGR: TQ2911481028
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings