History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Haigh Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Haigh, Wigan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5717 / 53°34'18"N

Longitude: -2.6092 / 2°36'33"W

OS Eastings: 359752

OS Northings: 408515

OS Grid: SD597085

Mapcode National: GBR BW64.XC

Mapcode Global: WH97R.WHP7

Entry Name: Haigh Hall

Listing Date: 19 November 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1228292

English Heritage Legacy ID: 402637

Location: Haigh, Wigan, WN2

County: Wigan

Civil Parish: Haigh

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Haigh and Aspull St David

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Standish

Listing Text

HAIGH SCHOOL LANE
SD 50 NE
(south side)
5/65 Haigh Hall
19.11.51
G.V. II*
House. 1827-40. For and possibly by 24th Earl of Crawford
and Balcarres. Stone. 3 storeys, square plan round central
light well. South east, entrance facade of 11 bays; 3rd, 4th
and 8th, 9th bays project. Top cornice and parapet. Most
windows are sashed with glazing bars, but ground floor
windows and central 1st floor window have casements of a
type found on the Haigh Hall estate, opening from the inside
only and with small upper sash. Central 3 bays have
hexastyle Tuscan porch, paired columns to each end. Entrance
has eared architrave, panelled pilasters, frieze and
consoled cornice; half-glazed door. Left return garden front
of 7 bays, 1st, 5th and 7th are canted full-height bays.
Windows have casements as ground floor of entrance front.
Ornamental cast iron balcony to 1st floor. Rear of 10 bays,
the 3rd, 4th and 7th, 8th bays projecting; ground floor
windows have casements, the rest are sashed with glazing
bars. Right return of 8 bays, end full-height canted bays
and 2 round-headed service entrances have fanlights with
glazing bars. Penthouse to roof. Several stacks. Interior:
rich decoration to rooms. Entrance hall has coffered ceiling
and anthemion frieze; 2 fireplaces with gothic-style grates;
wind direction indicator. Stair hall has sail vault with
central light; lunettes have friezes of Vitruvian scroll,
urns and griffins, vault has fluting, the angles with masks.
Ground floor room has early C18 end timber blind arcading on
composite pilasters, rich spandrels and entablature, room
has rich entablature, screen of 2 arches at one end
(probably originally partition wall) with modillion cornice
beyond, and panels to ceiling, 1st floor has room approached
by enriched apse, with rich coffered ceiling, chandeliers
and fireplaces. Library behind has ceiling decoration with
symbols another room has apse and niches. Passage leads to
re-used early C18 open well stair, open string 3 square
column-on-vase balusters to the tread and saucer dome with
etched glass to light.


Listing NGR: SD5975208515

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.