History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trow Pump and Pump House at Ngr Sy 15589n

A Grade II Listed Building in Sidmouth, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6978 / 50°41'52"N

Longitude: -3.1993 / 3°11'57"W

OS Eastings: 315394

OS Northings: 89374

OS Grid: SY153893

Mapcode National: GBR P9.GRN1

Mapcode Global: FRA 4757.KD7

Entry Name: Trow Pump and Pump House at Ngr Sy 15589n

Listing Date: 28 March 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1228545

English Heritage Legacy ID: 403165

Location: Sidmouth, East Devon, Devon, EX10

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Sidmouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Salcombe Regis St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Salcombe Regis

Listing Text

TROW
1.
1663
Trow Pump and Pump
House at NGR SY
15589N
SY 18 NE 15/308
II
2.
Pump house and pump. Dated 'In memory of John R A Morshead Twenty Seven
years Vicar of Salcombe Regis 1884': A flint structure with brick dressings,
and double roman tile roof to gables, that to front with decorative
bargeboard. A small square building, set into a field bank on the corner of
the Seaton to Salcombe Road and a field track, plain opening with segmental pointed arch and a spear-head iron gate about 1.75m high and 900mm wide.
Inside, a stone floor and a fine reciprocating pump in cast iron with brass
cogs; the pump in the form of a short column with base and palmette cap;
and winding wheel to right. Inset tablet with original date, as above, and
a second tablet 'Renovated by the Sid. Vale Assn 1968-1983' - the dates
ailed in a temporary panel. The pump was used until 1915. It is notable
that the Sid Vale Association, founded in 1846, is the oldest Amenity Group
in Britain.
(Sidmouth Herald, 2.xii.67; article by R E Wilson).


Listing NGR: SY1539489373

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

TROW
1.
1663
Trow Pump and Pump
House at NGR SY
15589N
SY 18 NE 15/308
II
2.
Pump house and pump. Dated 'In memory of John R A Morshead Twenty Seven
years Vicar of Salcombe Regis 1884': A flint structure with brick dressings,
and double roman tile roof to gables, that to front with decorative
bargeboard. A small square building, set into a field bank on the corner of
the Seaton to Salcombe Road and a field track, plain opening with segmental pointed arch and a spear-head iron gate about 1.75m high and 900mm wide.
Inside, a stone floor and a fine reciprocating pump in cast iron with brass
cogs; the pump in the form of a short column with base and palmette cap;
and winding wheel to right. Inset tablet with original date, as above, and
a second tablet 'Renovated by the Sid. Vale Assn 1968-1983' - the dates
ailed in a temporary panel. The pump was used until 1915. It is notable
that the Sid Vale Association, founded in 1846, is the oldest Amenity Group
in Britain.
(Sidmouth Herald, 2.xii.67; article by R E Wilson).


Listing NGR: SY1539489373

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.