History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

All Saints Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bradfield Combust with Stanningfield, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1816 / 52°10'53"N

Longitude: 0.7663 / 0°45'58"E

OS Eastings: 589223

OS Northings: 257309

OS Grid: TL892573

Mapcode National: GBR RH5.8KK

Mapcode Global: VHKDK.7FGG

Entry Name: All Saints Church

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Last Amended: 27 January 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1228768

English Heritage Legacy ID: 403228

Location: Bradfield Combust with Stanningfield, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP30

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Bradfield Combust with Stanningfield

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bradfield Combust All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Whepstead

Listing Text

TL 85 NE BRADFIELD COMBUST SUDBURY ROAD

5/6 All Saints Church
(Formerly listed as Church
14.7.55 of All Saints)

GV II*


Church, mediaeval, restored 1869. Nave, chancel, south aisle, north vestry,
south porch. Flint rubble with freestone dressings; C18 repairs (date stone
I.1721.H) with flint rubble and bands of red brick; alterations of 1869 with
rounded flints, tile-stitching and brick rubble. Plaintiled roofs. North nave
doorway has semi-circular inner arch, possibly Norman. South aisle added
c.1300; 2-light hood-moulded south windows, hood-moulded south doorway, hood-
moulded double piscina with adjacent dropped window cill seat, lancet west
window and diagonal pedimented buttresses. Triple nave arcade, c.1300, has
double chamfered arches on octagonal piers, with moulded capitals and bases.
Plain chamfered C13 or C14 doorways in north nave and north and south chancel
walls. Piscina in chancel late C14, heavily restored c.19. Nave roof rebuilt
c.1500, with principal rafters, arch-braced collars and arch-braced tie-beams,
moulded cornice, purlins and ridge. 3-light east aisle window inserted early
c.16. Open gabled timber-framed south porch added 1861. Alterations c.1869
include: reconstruction of east chancel wall, with 3-light window in mid-c.14
style; west nave wall with elaborate limestone bell-cote on parapet-gable;
parapet-gabled vestry; scissor-braced coupled rafter chancel roof; king-post
and tie-beam aisle roof. C15 wall-paintings on north nave wall above doorway,
with large figures of St. Christopher and of St. George and the Dragon. C12
limestone font with circular shaft and chamfered square bowl with scalloped
soffit, some C15 sunk tracery carved on one face. The C19 organ seat is
converted from a section of traceried C15 oak screen. Stained glass of c.1850
in most windows; the south chancel window reuses some c.15 glass. A wall
tablet in chancel to Arthur Young of Bradfield Hall (d.1759) with apron, crown
and flanking scrolls; 5 simple white marble wall tablets in chancel and vestry
to members of his family, d.1785-1851.


Listing NGR: TL8922357309

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.