History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Oakfield (Headquarters of Chester Zoo)

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2252 / 53°13'30"N

Longitude: -2.8791 / 2°52'44"W

OS Eastings: 341404

OS Northings: 370158

OS Grid: SJ414701

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.0WNW

Mapcode Global: WH887.R659

Plus Code: 9C5V64GC+38

Entry Name: Oakfield (Headquarters of Chester Zoo)

Listing Date: 27 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1230120

English Heritage Legacy ID: 404826

Location: Upton-by-Chester, Cheshire West and Chester, CH2

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Upton-by-Chester

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Upton The Holy Ascension

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Wervin

Description

SJ 47 SW UPTON-BY-CHESTER C.P. CAUGHALL ROAD
(West Side)

2/38 Oakfield (Headquarters
of Chester Zoo).

-

GV II

Formerly large house, now offices and restaurant: short wing c1885 by
E A Ould, remainder rebuilt 1892 by H Beswick, all for B Chaffers
Roberts, some C20 alterations. English garden wall bond Ruabon brick
with blue brick diapering and red sandstone dressings. Welsh slate
roof and 4 brick chimneys with Tudor-style stacks. 2 and 2½-storey,
4-bay west front. Left 2 bays are earlier parts with canted,
castellated 2-storey bay window with mullioned and transomed windows
in coped and finialled dormers above. To right is a projecting gabled
porch with shaped and coped gable with a griffin finial. Doorcase
with basket-arched head. Similar windows to remainder but with
basket-arched and ogee heads to the lights. Longer south garden front
in similar style of 3 different projecting coped gabled masses.
Interior: Boardroom with fielded mahogany panelling and carved wooden
frieze. Wooden fireplace flanked by fluted pilasters and egg and dart
moulding. Some stained glass in the style of Burne Jones. Staircase
removed but arcade and balustrading survive upstairs. Room to left of
hall has fielded mahogany panelling divided by pilasters. Pedimented
doorcase with acanthus frieze. Panelled ceiling and massive chimney
breast with motto on bressumer and on Tudor-style stone fireplace with
De Morgan tiles.

The estate was bought by George Mottershead in 1930 to house his
private animal collection which with the founding of the North of
England Zoological Society in 1934 led to the present zoo, now the
second largest in Britain.


Listing NGR: SJ4140470158

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.