This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7084 / 52°42'30"N
Longitude: -1.1342 / 1°8'2"W
OS Eastings: 458595
OS Northings: 312654
OS Grid: SK585126
Mapcode National: GBR 8LP.238
Mapcode Global: WHDJ4.K640
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin and St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 1 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1230285
English Heritage Legacy ID: 405199
Location: Rothley, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Rothley
Built-Up Area: Mountsorrel
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Rothley St Mary the Virgin and St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 51 SE CHURCH STREET (East End)
1.6.66 Church of St. Mary the Virgin
and St. John the Baptist
Church. C13-C15, restored and chancel rebuilt 1878. 1878 restoration by R.
Reynolds Rowe of Cambridge. Granite rubble stone with stone dressings and
part battlemented, part Swithland slate roof. Stone coped gables, some with
cross finials. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel, N organ chamber and N porch.
Perp W tower of 3 stages with clasping buttresses becoming polygonal at second
stage, and angle at third stage. W doorway with traceried spandrels. 3-light
W window with stained glass of 1879. Clock face, quatrefoil and 1-light windows
at second stage. Four 2-light bell openings, quartrefoiled lozenge frieze
and battlements. Tall nave arch with deeply hollowed mouldings on semi-circular
responds. 4½ bay N arcade of C13, with unchamfered arches of one step on circular
piers. Four bay S arcade with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers.
Perp clerestory with 4 3-light windows on either side. Restored 6 bay low-pitch
tie beam roof, the tie beams original and with carved bosses. C14 N aisle
the four windows with renewed Reticulated tracery, three filled with C19 stained
glass. NE window with Intersected tracery opens into C19 N organ chamber.
N door and porch. Double chamfered chancel arch on polygonal responds. Chancel
has polygonal boarded roof and most of the windows filled with later C19 stained
glass. C14 S aisle, the windows with renewed Curvilinear tracery, and the
SE with stained glass of 1897. Piscina with cusped niche. Small S door, and
larger S door. Fine series of monuments. Tombe-chest with incised lid to
Bartholomew Kyngston, died 1486, and wife. On front are inscribed Kingston's
Will and coat of arms. Incised slab is Robert Vincent and two wives, c1530.
Tomb-chest with incised lid to Humfrey Babington, died 1549, and wife. Hanging
monument with many small figures to Thomas Babington, died 1567, and wife.
Panel from C16 monument with two mermaids holding coat of arms of Kyngston
impaling Skeffington. Wall monument to Anne Babington, died 1648, in alabaster
with black and red marble, showing within an oval niche the busts of both Anne
and her husband Mathew Babington : attributed to Edward Marshall. C19 wall
monumnent, oak choir stalls and brass lectern. Round Norman font, with pattern
of concentric lozenges, on C19 short shafts. Chancel screen, Perp, with 1-light
divisions, ogee arches decorated with foliage. Said dated 1520 in Kelly's
Leicestershire, Rutland, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, 1881, where also tower
dated 1425. White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877, and Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK5859512654
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings