This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3495 / 53°20'58"N
Longitude: -2.388 / 2°23'16"W
OS Eastings: 374267
OS Northings: 383691
OS Grid: SJ742836
Mapcode National: GBR CYRQ.S0
Mapcode Global: WH991.923K
Plus Code: 9C5V8JX6+QQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 5 March 1959
Last Amended: 20 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1230301
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58462
Location: Rostherne, Cheshire East, WA16
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Rostherne
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Rostherne St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 78 SW ROSETHERNE C.P. (Off) ROSTHERNE LANE
3/87 Church of St Mary
(formerly listed as St
5.3.59 Mary's Church)
Church. C14 with C16 additions. Tower of 1742-4 by John Rowson and
restoration and remodelling of chancel and vestry of 1888 by Sir
Arthur William Blomfield. Sandstone with slate and lead roofs.
Tower, nave with side aisles, chancel with side chapels and vestry.
Tower to west end of 3 diminishing stages; south front has moulded
plinth, then plain ashlar walling rising to height of nave ridge with 2
slit windows to left side. Heavy cyma-moulded string course with
circular clock dial above. Band above. Venetian bell opening above
this with louvres and impost band. Parapet ramps up at corners with
vases to corners and centre. North front exactly similar save for
absence of slit windows and bulls-eye window in place of clock dial.
West front similar but has pedimented doorcase with keystone and
fanlight arched window above this with 2 arched lights and central
oculus at apex and hood mould above. South front: 4-bay nave with
stone mullioned and transomed Perpendicular windows of 3 x 2 lights in
rectangular chamfered, surround. South porch of c.1886. Buttresses
between these with off-sets. 3 gabled timber dormers above, each of 3
cusped lights. Chancel has left-hand window of 4 arched lights above
priests door. 5 x 2 light Perpendicular window to right similar to
those in nave. Chantry chapel to right, slightly projecting with
setback buttresses to left and 2 setback buttresses to right hand
corner all with off-sets and surmounted by crocketed pinnacles. 2 Cl9
early Perpendicular windows with hood moulds. East front: blank wall
to east front of south-east chantry chapel with shallow angled gable
with cross at apex and crocketed pinnacles to offset buttresses. C19
decorated window to east end of chancel with steeper gable above and
cross at apex. Diagonal buttress to north-east corner with arched
door and 3-light_flerpendicular window to far left. swallow pitched
gable to vestry with cross at apex. Slightly projecting chantry
chapel with 3-light Perpendicular window similar to those on south
front. Octagonal battlemented chimney to left hand gable. Nave of 4
bays to aisles with 3 to clerestory as on south front but here the
clerestory is walled with a separate aisle roof instead of having
dormer clerestory windows. 3 3-light Perpendicular windows to aisle
with doorway to right with head moulding and hood mould. Clerestory
windows are 3-light of Perpendicular format. Battlemented octagonal
chimney to right.
Interior: 4-bay nave with round Early English piers to north arcade,
roll moulded bases and capitals and double chamfering to arches, the
outer chamfering cusped. South arcade has octagonal columns taller
than those on the north side, with capitals of stepped profile and
double chamfered arches, here unstopped, C19 king-post roof with
brattished ties. Chancel: 4 bays with octagonal piers to both sides.
Monuments: C13 of a recumbent knight. Wall monument to Samuel
Egerton by John Bacon, 1792, white and variegated grey marble.
Central catafalque with sarcophagus above surmounted by a stunted
obelisk with a flaming 2-handled lamp above. High relief figures of
Hope with an anchor and Patience holding a book and standing
complacently on a thorny branch. Excellently carved. Free-standing
monument of Charlotte Lucy Beatrix Egerton by Richard Westmacott Jnr.
1845. Recumbent female figure on bed with winged angel kneeling over
her, his hand outstretchedin blessing.
Nickolaus Pevsner and Edward Hubbard The Buildings of
Raymond Richards Old Cheshire Churches,
Listing NGR: SJ7427283692
Other nearby listed buildings