This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4792 / 52°28'45"N
Longitude: -2.261 / 2°15'39"W
OS Eastings: 382368
OS Northings: 286836
OS Grid: SO823868
Mapcode National: GBR 098.K59
Mapcode Global: VH917.RYKB
Plus Code: 9C4VFPHQ+MH
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 June 1963
Last Amended: 18 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1230632
English Heritage Legacy ID: 405614
Location: Enville, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DY7
District: South Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Enville
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Enville St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SO 82 86
Church of St Mary
(Formerly listed as Church of St Mary Blessed Virgin)
Parish church. Early C12 core, C13 and C14 additions, restored and enlarged 1872-4 by G.G. Scott. Red sandstone ashlar; plain tile roofs with coped verges. South-west tower, four-bay nave with western annexe, north and south aisles, north porch, three-bay chancel, north vestry/organ chamber.
S.W. tower: 1872-4, three stages with angle buttresses, foliated frieze below a castellated openwork parapet. The parapet has corner pinnacles with crocketed spirelets, and an hexagonal finial in the centre of each face and at each corners. South door with colonettes, panelled spandrels and returned hood mould, two-light window above with cinquefoil headed lights, separated by a niche with crocketed nodding ogee canopy. The second and third stages have paired pointed and transomed windows each of two trefoil headed lights with early Perpendicular style tracery.
North aisle: buttresses at the bay divisions. Pointed windows of two trefoil headed lights with C19 Decorated tracery and returned hood moulds; three-light west window. Gabled north porch of 1872-4, pointed outer arch with roll and fillet moulded surround and crocketed ogee hood mould terminating in heads; niche above with nodding ogee hood containing an image of the Virgin.
South aisle. C12. Buttresses at the bay division. Pointed windows each of two trefoil-headed lights with late C13 style Decorated tracery of 1872-4; C16 pointed east window of three trefoil headed lights and Perpendicular tracery.
Chancel: early C14. Buttresses at the bay divisions. C19 pointed windows with reticulated tracery. C19 door to centre of north side with segmental pointed head.
Interior: early C12 south arcade; cylindrical columns with square abaci and squat mult-scalloped capitals, semi-circular single step arches (c.f. Church of The Holy Cross (q.v.) Bobbington C.P.). The west arch is blocked by the tower. In two of the arcade spandrels are set C12 figure sculptures; one is a bishop with his left hand clutching a crozier and his right hand raised in blessing, the other is a priest with his right hand raised in blessing and his left hand holding a fan. Early C13 north arcade, the details recut in 1872-4; cylindrical columns with round abaci and capitals with incised decoration; semi-circular arches of two chamfered orders. Pointed west annexe arch of 1872-4. C14 pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders springing from engaged semi-octagonal columns with moulded capitals. At the east end of the south aisle a water stoup, and, at the level of the arches, a blocked door which-probably communicated with a former rood loft. In the chancel a pointed moulded arch to the organ chamber. On the north side of the sanctuary a C19 wall cupboard with ogee head and ballflower ornament; C19 sedilia and piscina on the south side, pointed arches and continuous hood mould; the piscina has a double basin. C19 arch-braced collar roof over west annexe; arch-braced collar roof over nave, probably C14; C14 or C15 arch braced collar roof over south aisle, one pair of moulded and coupled purlins, cusped wind braces; north aisle has a braced collar rafter roof probably C14; C19 collar rafter roof over chancel, every third collar is arch braced, the others have straight braces.
Fittings: C19 stone font, octagonal basin on a cylindrical marble shafted pedestal. C19 octagonal pulpit, wood on stone base. Three brass chandeliers in the nave and one in the chancel. Late C15 stalls with carved bench ends and four misericords: Sir Ywain at the castle gate, a couple in a pew, two dogs attacking a bear, a seated angel under a canopy. C19 wooden communion rail on shafted open arcade.
Monuments. Chancel: C13 recumbent effigy of a priest in a recess on the north side of the sanctuary. South aisle: Sir Thomas Grey (died 1559) and his wife and children; alabaster chest tomb with two recumbent effigies, Sir Thomas in plate armour with his head on a tilting helm and his feet on a lion, children around the sides. Harry Grey, Earl of Stamford (died 1768), tablet surmounted by an obelisk and urn. Dorothy Grey, daughter of the third Earl of Stamford, tablet with pedestalled urn. Henry Grey, died 1686, aedicular tablet with Corinthian columns and and console brackets, surmounted by a coat of arms; William Wright, died 1765, tablet. North aisle. Tablets. Wollaston, died 1796; Mary Caddick, died 1829; Richard Wilkes, died 1824. Stained glass. Mainly late C19, the east window of the south aisle incorporates some C14 glass.
Listing NGR: SO8236886836
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings