History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Okeover Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Okeover, Staffordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0301 / 53°1'48"N

Longitude: -1.7658 / 1°45'57"W

OS Eastings: 415800

OS Northings: 348118

OS Grid: SK158481

Mapcode National: GBR 48N.4C4

Mapcode Global: WHCF4.V39C

Plus Code: 9C5W26JM+2M

Entry Name: Okeover Hall

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1231031

English Heritage Legacy ID: 406052

Location: Okeover, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DE6

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Okeover

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Blore Ray with Okeover

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Tagged with: House English country house

Find accommodation in
Mapleton

Description


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/05/2020


SK 14 NE
3/125

OKEOVER C.P.
OKEOVER PARK
Okeover Hall

10/1/53

GV
II*
Country house. c1745-1749 and 1757-1758 by Joseph Sanderson and Simon File, partly rebuilt 1957-60 by Marshall Sisson. Red brick with ashlar plinth and dressings; hipped slate roofs; brick ridge stacks. East range of c1745-1746, west range of c1747-1749 largely rebuilt 1957-1960, and south range of 1957-60 excepting its east end (1757-1758), enclose three sides of a courtyard; Gibbsian style.

North front: two-storey, seven bay front with three storey corner towers in angles to flanking wings and central open pedimented break with two windows on either side; first floor band and moulded eaves cornice to coped parapet; corner pilasters to angle towers and central break; glazing bar sashes, those to first floor of wings are set within recesses and have scrolled architraves, stepped voussoirs and a sill band continued along each return front, those to ground floor of wings have enriched heads, those to first floor of south range central break and corner towers are round headed, the latter blind, those to ground floor of south range, excepting the towers have round heads and are set within round arched recesses springing from a continuation of the first floor band of the wings, blind second floor oculus to each tower; central eight panelled door and fanlight with radiating glazing bars. West return of east wing: seven bays; glazing bar sashes with raised keys, the two left hand window bays are blind; central door with bracketed pediment. East return of west wing: two; three; two bays, projecting centre with ground floor defined by quoins of alternating lengths; glazing bar sashes with raised keys, the first two ground floor windows from the right are blind; central door with bracketed pediment.

East front: two storeys with first floor band; one;one;nine bays, wing of 1745-1747 to the right, and east end of south range of 1757-1758 to the left, with single bay recessed link between. Right hand range has glazing bar sashes with raised keys and moulded surrounds, those to first floor with sill band; central pedimented three bays defined by alternating quoins with first floor windows surmounting recessed balustrades, pediment has a central oculus with enriched surround. Left hand bay forms the south east pavilion: two storeys with attic storey over bold cornice broken to east by arched recess containing first floor Venetian window, quoins to lower floor, pilasters to attic; upper cornice and blocking course; a ground floor angled bay window, blocking course continued as bands (sill band to south); central window of bay is arched, lintel string returned as impost string to south. Recessed link has ground floor door.

Interior: Drawing Room: Rich plaster work by Charles Stanley. Coved plaster ceiling with large roundel containing two mythological figures; open well staircase with decorative wrought iron rail of 1748 by Robert Bakewell of Derby. The C18 work at Okeover was done for Leak Okeover and the rebuilding of the 1950s for Sir Ian Walker. The most important country house conversion of the 1950s and 1960s.

Listing NGR: SK1580048118

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.