This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3391 / 53°20'20"N
Longitude: -2.0531 / 2°3'10"W
OS Eastings: 396564
OS Northings: 382470
OS Grid: SJ965824
Mapcode National: GBR GY3T.9Q
Mapcode Global: WHBBB.FBLH
Entry Name: The Stables at Lyme Park
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1232013
English Heritage Legacy ID: 407212
Location: Lyme Handley, Cheshire East, SK12
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Lyme Handley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Disley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 98 SE LYME HANDLEY C.P. LYME PARK
4/65 The Stables at
14.1.67 Lyme Park.
Stables: dated 1863 by A.Darbyshire for William Legh. Hammer-dressed
buff sandstone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof with 4 stone
chimneys on west range. Courtyard plan with walled area to rear. 2
storey, symmetrical 9-bay front (1:3:1:3:1). Central opening under
low segmental arch with fluting at joints and ram's head keystone.
Triangular pediment above on Doric pilasters with some vermiculation.
Pair of gates, diagonally boarded and framed. An armorial plaque of
the Legh family flanked by moulded panels stands on the eaves above
entrance and hides a square hamper. End bays project slightly on
plinth and have raised quoins. Low segmental heads to windows with
carved keystones. Modillion cornice above with coped blocking course.
Remaining bays are similar. Date tablet on south range outer wall.
Inside of courtyard has plain, wedged low segmental heads to openings
with a 4-bay coach house in east range.
Listing NGR: SJ9656482470
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings