This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6297 / 53°37'47"N
Longitude: -1.7418 / 1°44'30"W
OS Eastings: 417172
OS Northings: 414831
OS Grid: SE171148
Mapcode National: GBR JV8G.PK
Mapcode Global: WHCB8.61T6
Entry Name: Entrance Block and Extensions to North and North West at King James Grammar School
Listing Date: 3 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1232192
English Heritage Legacy ID: 407027
Location: Kirklees, HD4
Electoral Ward/Division: Almondbury
Built-Up Area: Huddersfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Almondbury with Farnley Tyas Team Parish
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
ST HELEN'S GATE
Entrance block and extensions
to north and north-west at
King James' Grammar School
SE 1714 45/9 3.3.52.
The earliest buildings on the site (1610) no longer exist. Entrance block
rebuilt by the master, Samuel Brook, some time between the Bishop's Visitations
of 1743 and 1764. Hammer dressed stone. Pitched and sprocketed stone slate
roof. 2 storeys. Tall hammer dressed stone stacks. 1st floor has one 4-light,
2 3-light and one 2-light stone mullioned sashes with glazing bars. Ground
floor has one 4-light and two 3-light stone mullion sashes with glazing bars.
2-storeyed passage along rear added in 1848.
Extension to north-west was built on the site of earlier buildings in 1848,
with a dormitory above it, completed in 1849. Architect Richard Armitage
(an old boy). Contractors Messrs Walter Capper and Jenkinson. Hammer dressed
stone. Pitched stone slate roof: coped gable ends on cut kneelers. 2 storeys.
Schoolroom below, dormitory above. 1-storey porch extension at north-west
angle. South side has 2 ranges of 4-light stone mullioned windows with hoodmoulds,
of which only one has all 3 mullions intact. West side has one 2-light window
with Perpendicular Gothic tracery and stained glass, hoodmould over. North
side has one range of 4-light stone mullioned windows with hoodmoulds, both
with 2 mullions removed. Porch has gable coping on cut kneelers.
Extension to north probably dates from circa 1848. Ground floor has a 4-light
stone mullioned window with hoodmould, diagonally placed vertical iron bars
and lead glazing bars with (apparently) old glass: ie it may well be a window
re-used from the C18 building, or even the building of 1610.
Interior The schoolroom of 1848 has a marble tablet to the Rev Alfred Easther
(Master: 1848-76), to whose initiative much of the C19 recovery and expansion
of the school was due.
The school was founded in 1547, but in 1608 Thomas Beaumont of Whitley Beaumont
secured a royal charter for it. In the C19 it expanded to take in boarders.
In 1860 it acquired a covered playground (The Cloisters) which became a science
laboratory in 1868 and was demolished in 1938. In 1880 the wing to the south
(not included) was added, comprising a classroom with dormitory and master's
room above, and kitchen with bedrooms for domestic staff. In 1883 further
additions (also not included) were made, comprising a new schoolroom plus classroom
with dormitory and master's room above. Both these additions were designed
by W S Barber of Halifax.
Listing NGR: SE1717214831
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings