History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Piddington, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8478 / 51°50'51"N

Longitude: -1.0723 / 1°4'20"W

OS Eastings: 463999

OS Northings: 216980

OS Grid: SP639169

Mapcode National: GBR 9ZJ.5PG

Mapcode Global: VHCXC.CTGC

Plus Code: 9C3WRWXH+43

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1233014

English Heritage Legacy ID: 408435

Location: Piddington, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Piddington

Built-Up Area: Piddington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Piddington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Ambrosden

Description

SP61NW PIDDINGTON THAME ROAD
(West side)

11/136 Church of St. Nicholas

07/12/66

GV II*


Church. Late C13, C15 and C16; restored 1855 and by J.O. Scott in 1898. Random
and coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; old plain-tile and
Welsh-slate roofs. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and west tower. C13
chancel, with plinth and stepped angle buttresses, has an east window of 3
grouped trefoiled lancets below an outer arch, and, to south, has 2 similar
2-light windows with trefoils in their heads; all have engaged shafts supporting
tracery rolls; to north is a similar lancet plus a 2-light C15 window, and there
is a C14 priest's door to south. South aisle has 2 plain lancets, possibly
re-used, plus a C14 window of 2 ogee-headed lights; a similar window facing west
may be C19. C19 porch, with square traceried openings, shelters a C14 doorway
with continuous moulding. North wall of nave has heavy buttresses, 2
square-headed windows (one with Perpendicular tracery) and a single light
contemporary with the tower. 2-stage C16 tower, with diagonal buttresses and
crenellated parapet, has single-light bell-chamber openings and 2-light west
window, all with 3-centred arches, and has a 4-centre arched west doorway with
shields in the spandrels. Interior: chancel windows have internal shafts and
trefoiled rere arches, to east with the cusps pierced with trefoils. The C14
two-seat sedilia is sumptuously carved with foliage and ballflower ornament and
has cinqufoiled arches, tall canopies and pinnacles; matching canopies to the
piscina and the altered priest's door have been mutilated. An Easter sepulchre
to north is carved with winged cherubs. C19 chancel arch. 4-bay C14 south arcade
has octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Medieval octagonal chalice-shaped
font. C18 turned communion rails. Monuments include 3 early-C18 Baroque wall
tablets, 2 carved with weeping figures, to members of the Walker family.
Fragmentary painting of St. Christopher on north wall of nave.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.257; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.731).


Listing NGR: SP6399916980

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.