This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4229 / 52°25'22"N
Longitude: -1.2508 / 1°15'2"W
OS Eastings: 451044
OS Northings: 280811
OS Grid: SP510808
Mapcode National: GBR 8Q0.2KZ
Mapcode Global: VHCTK.8CLF
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 16 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1233438
English Heritage Legacy ID: 408940
Location: Churchover, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23
Civil Parish: Churchover
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Churchover Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
CHURCHOVER CHURCH STREET
SP58SW (West side)
4/25 Church of Holy Trinity
Church. C15 with C12 origins, but mostly rebuilt 1896 by Basset Smith. C15
tower, spire rebuilt C19. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and C20
tile roof. Chancel and aisled nave with west tower and south porch and vestry.
Apsidal chancel demolished, chancel (without apse) rebuilt C19. Early English
style door to south. 3-light window to east. Decorated style windows to north
and south. Vestry attached to south aisle. Nave of 3 bays with C19 two-light
windows to north and south aisles. C14 two-light window to east of north aisle.
C19 plank door within C13 pointed doorway of 2 orders of shafts with chamfered
surrounds and head-mould with label stops. C19 porch with Early English style
doorway. Buttresses to walls and angles of nave and chancel. Gables are coped.
C15 west tower of 3 stages. Plinth and angle buttresses up to third stage.
3-light cusped window to west of first stage with chamfered surround. One
square-headed light to west, north and east of second stage. C15 two-light
cusped square-headed windows to 4 sides of third stage. C16 parapet to third
stage. C15 hexagonal spire, the top rebuilt C19. Interior: Original C15 south
arcade remains. 3 bays of polygonal piers with responds to east and west.
Hood-mould has C15 label stops of carved heads. Triple chamfered tower arch.
Norman font to centre of nave with carved polygonal cover dated 1673. Norman
capital of stylised foliage reset in west wall of south aisle. C13 tomb slab
reset below. In west wall of south aisle alabaster monument to William Price,
his wife and her parents erected 1595. Both couples kneel facing each other over
prayer desks. 3 corinthian columns support an entablature supporting coats of
arms and putti heads. An inscription reads "AVOET PARENTI BENE MERENTIBUS
WILLIMUS PRICEUS EQ. AVRAT H.M.L.L.P.". In west wall of north aisle a marble
monument to Charles Dixwell of Coton and Abigail his wife, erected 1641.
Corinthian columns support an entablature. Charles and his wife kneel facing
each other in an aspect of prayer. The demi-figures of their sons and daughter
pray below. C18 wall monument in north wall of chancel.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire p.232)
Listing NGR: SP5104480811
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings