This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3831 / 52°22'59"N
Longitude: -1.2209 / 1°13'15"W
OS Eastings: 453128
OS Northings: 276404
OS Grid: SP531764
Mapcode National: GBR 8QF.J5F
Mapcode Global: VHCTR.SCFG
Plus Code: 9C4W9QMH+6M
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 6 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1233440
English Heritage Legacy ID: 408942
Location: Clifton upon Dunsmore, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23
Civil Parish: Clifton upon Dunsmore
Built-Up Area: Rugby
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Clifton-upon-Dunsmore and Newton
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
CLIFTON UPON DUNSMORE CHURCH STREET
SP57NW (East side)
8/27 Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Church. C13 with C15 alterations, and restored late C19. Coursed sandstone
rubble with some re-used tiles inset in chancel walls. Lead roof to nave and
aisles, plain-tile roof to chancel and porch. Nave with aisles, chancel and west
tower. South wall of chancel has two C13 paired lancets with a single C19 lancet
to right, and round headed door to centre right. Single lancet to north wall
east window. East end of roof has coped gable. South aisle of 4 bays is C13 with
two C13 Y-tracery windows, restored C19. Window to right is C14 with curvilinear
tracery, restored C19. East and west walls of aisle have C13 windows of 3
lights. C13 hollow-chamfered doorway and C19 wood porch. North aisle is of 4
bays with C19 vestry to left. C13 Y-tracery windows to north and west. Restored
C15 and C19 windows to north and east. C13 moulded door to right has pointed
arch and hood mould with label stops. Vestry door to centre left is chamfered
with hood mould. C15 clerestory has four 2-light square-headed windows to either
side. Aisles are buttressed and roofs to nave and aisles have coped gables.
Tower is of 2 stages: the first of c.1300 and has restored window to west of
intersecting tracery with carved quadruped below a small traceried opening.
Small single-light to stair projection to south. Second stage is C16 with three
2-light square headed openings, and clock face to south. String course to first
and second stage, and battlements to roof. The nave and aisles rest upon a
moulded plinth. Interior: chancel, much restored C19, has earlier piscina to
south. Chancel arch is c19 in Early English style. C15 4-bay nave arcades with
double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. C19 roof rests upon C15 carved
corbel heads. Piscina in south aisle is C14. Vestry door in north aisle, and
aisle roofs are C19. Pews, choir stalls, pulpit and panelling in chancel are
C19, as is stained glass. memorial in north aisle is dated 1776.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.234).
Listing NGR: SP5312876404
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings