This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5824 / 52°34'56"N
Longitude: -0.5894 / 0°35'21"W
OS Eastings: 495672
OS Northings: 299218
OS Grid: SP956992
Mapcode National: GBR DV8.1SM
Mapcode Global: WHGM7.XCH4
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 23 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1234011
English Heritage Legacy ID: 409659
Location: Wakerley, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, LE15
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Wakerley
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Barrowden and Wakerley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
FINESHADE ROAD (West side)
Church of St. John the Baptist
Church, now redundant. C12, C13, C14 and C15, restored 1875 by J. B. Corby of
Stamford. Squared coursed limestone and limestone ashlar with lead and
Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and north porch.
elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2-light, squared-head, windows with
cusped-head lights. Central priests door. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar
parapets. Small lean-to building, to left, has Collyweston slate roof. 5-light
Perpendicular east window with hollow reveals and 4-centred arch-head. Flanking,
2-stage, clasping buttresses. Shallow gable parapet, above, with finial. North
elevation of chancel of 2 blank bays, with plain ashlar parapet. The chancel is
constructed in ashlar. South aisle occupies 2 bays of the 4-bay nave. 2-window
range of plain, 2-light, square-head, windows. Truncated 2-stage buttresses at
corners. Lean-to roof with Collyweston slates. 3-light east window with panel
tracery and 2-centred arch-head. 2 bays of nave, to left, have one 2-light
window, with hollow reveals and 2-centred arch-head, to left. Blocked doorway,
to right, has moulded stone surround and 2-centred arch-head. 2-stage buttresses
to corner and between bays. South nave clerestory of 3-window range of plain,
2-light, square-head windows. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapet. North
aisle occupies a similar position as south aisle, relative to the nave. 2-window
range of plain 2-light square-head windows, probably restored C19. Shallow
2-stage clasping buttress to corner and 2-stage buttress between bays. Lean-to
roof, with Collyweston slates. 3-light east window, similar to the south aisle.
North porch is attached to the west of the north aisle. 2-centred chamfered and
moulded arch-head outer doorway with semi-circular responds. Trefoil head niche
above. C19 trellis work outer gates. Inner doorway has hollows and roll
mouldings and 4-centred arch-head. Plank door has fine strap hinges. Gabled roof
with Collyweston slates and ashlar gable parapets. One-window range of nave, to
right of porch, has a 2-light window similar to the south elevation of the nave.
North nave clerestory of 3-window range, similar to the south elevation. Late
C14 ashlar west tower of 4 irregular stages, with moulded plinth. 4-stage angle
buttresses, to lower 3 stages, and shallow corner pilasters to upper stage.
2-light west window, in lower stage, has tracery with mouchettes. Pairs of tall,
2-light, bell-chamber openings, with transoms, to each face of upper stage.
Those to south face have round heads, those to north face have 2-centred
arch-heads, and those to east and west faces have square-heads. Quatrefoil
frieze, with castellated parapet above. Set back, octagonal, crocketed spire
with 2 tiers of lucarnes.
INTERIOR: 2-bay nave arcade in the transeptal
position. C14 south arcade of triple-chamfered arches with octagonal pier and
corbelled responds. Similar C15 south arcade, with double-chamfered arches. Fine
C12 pointed chancel arch with roll mouldings and zig-zag decoration. The chancel
arch was probably reconstructed as a pointed arch, C13. Double, semi-circular,
responds; the north capital depicts a castle under siege and the south capital
monsters and interlaced foliage. Flanking arch-head recesses to left and right
of chancel arch are also C12 with roll mouldings and detached shafts.
Triple-chamfered tower arch with semi-circular responds. Pre C19 roof
structures. Corbels in the nave were probably reset; when the roof was
reconstructed in 1737-38; moulded tie beams and purlins in the chancel.
Underside of aisle roofs are plastered, with exposed principals and purlins in
the South aisle. Head of former C12 clerestory window is visible above the south
arcade. Fragment of C12 frieze to south wall of nave and to south wall of south
aisle; also C12 corbel table in south aisle. Ogee-head piscina to right of
altar, and 2-centred arch-head piscina in south aisle. Late C13 font with a
decorated quatrefoil on one side and a pierced trefoil arch on a second side.
Trefoil-head fragment above pulpit and carved corbel to south wall of nave. Late
C19 tiled reredos to altar and similar floor tiling to sanctuary. Stained glass;
fragments of C14 glass depicting arms of Delawarr in the nave and C15 glass to
east windows of aisles. Late C19 stained glass to east window of chancel.
Monuments: Richard Cecil, second son of Lord Burghley, chest tomb to left of
altar c.1633, probably incorporating an Easter sepulchre. Edward Cecil, died
1636, fifth son of David Earl of Exeter, inscribed floor tablets in chancel,
similar tablets to second, third and fourth sons of Earl of Exeter, c.1638.
Matrices of brass also in floor of chancel. The Cecil family had a mansion at
Wakerley. Early and mid C19 wall tablets, in nave, to Pepper family. William
Charles Jackson, died 1819, inscribed tablet to south wall of chancel, by
Gilbert of Stanford, has draped urn above. Samuel Hunt, died 1814, plain tablet,
alongside, by T. Swann of Barrowden, William Jackson, died 1810 inscribed tablet
with broad obelisk above, to south wall of chancel. Other C19 tablets alongside.
Listing NGR: SP9567299218
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings