This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3114 / 53°18'41"N
Longitude: -2.1734 / 2°10'24"W
OS Eastings: 388545
OS Northings: 379402
OS Grid: SJ885794
Mapcode National: GBR FZ84.8N
Mapcode Global: WHBBG.L186
Entry Name: Mottram Hall Hotel
Listing Date: 25 July 1952
Last Amended: 6 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1234766
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58260
Location: Mottram St. Andrew, Cheshire East, SK10
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Mottram St. Andrew
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Prestbury St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 87 NE
MOTTRAM ST.ANDREW C.P.
WILMSLOW ROAD (North Side)
Mottram Hall Hotel
(Formerly listed as Mottram New Hall)
Large house: c.1750 built by William Wright for his son, interior
alterations of c. l780 and restoration dated 1939. Additions and
adaptations to hotel c.1975. Flemish bond orange brick with buff
sandstone dressings. Hipped Kerridge stone-slate roof and 9 brick
chimneys. Long facade with projecting end pavilions. 2-storey
symmetrical 17-bay front (3:3:5:3:3). Central 5 bays are the original
house. Rusticated plinth supports giant order Doric pilasters with a
triglyph frieze with rosettes. Triangular pediment contains a blank
Rococo cartouche and the legend "NISI DOMINUS EDIFICE DOMUM FRUSTRA
LABORATUR" adapted from psalm 117. Central doorcase with recessed
panels on the jambs has a segmental pediment on consoles with floral
swags in the tympanum. It now contains a glazed door. Above is a
12-pane sash in an eared architrave. Similar windows in the remainder
have flat gauged and rubbed heads with stone keyblocks and sills.
Flanking 3 bays on ashlar plinth have Gibbsian surrounds to door and
window in central bay that steps forward slightly under a triangular
pediment. Similar central bays to end pavilion, which step forward 5
bays, but surrounds have chamfered rustication. Rear pediment of
central block carries inscription "RURA MIIH PLACEANT" (Sic). There
are large C20 extensions to the end pavilions.
Interior: Former entrance hall has a good Adam-style ceiling with a
delicate cornice, border of rosettes, central circular panel bordered
by a running vine with a fluted roundel at the middle. Carved
softwood dado rail, skirting and door architrave with dot diamond
motifs and lines of husks. Good mahogany 6-panelled doors. Room to
left has lost ceiling but similar softwood carving based on fluting.
White marble fireplace has centrepiece of an urn with swags of husks.
Central passage has a long plaster groin vault with fan lunettes in
the side and other Adam motifs. Oak-well staircase has square iron
balusters, mahogany handrail, carved open string with raised roundels
above a band of fluting. Bressumers have urns in relief and
elliptical medallions. Stairwell lit by semi-circular headed window
with tracery in the tympanum. The ceiling is heavier with swags of
husks in the frieze, a ropework border and a central panel of acanthus
leaves. Garden rooms have eared architraves to doors and long windows
and mid C19 copies of the style of the ceiling in the stairwell. The
modern lobby has an oak panelled dado of early C18 style. The
fireplace is flanked by fluted wooden pillars carrying urns, acanthus
border to fire opening with roundels in the frieze above. Fluted
wooden pilasters in the openings to the adjoining rooms.
The full history of the house is uncertain and there is a simple plan
to the central block with direct entry to a room. This and the style
of the wings compares to Milnesbridge Hall, Huddersfield of c.1749 by
Paine or T Atkinson. The ceilings in the style of Adam are of good
quality although those in the garden rooms are a later pastiche.
Listing NGR: SJ8854579402
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings