History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Kentigern

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aspatria, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7649 / 54°45'53"N

Longitude: -3.3271 / 3°19'37"W

OS Eastings: 314710

OS Northings: 541916

OS Grid: NY147419

Mapcode National: GBR 5F6B.HP

Mapcode Global: WH6ZB.VHVH

Entry Name: Church of St Kentigern

Listing Date: 11 April 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1234861

English Heritage Legacy ID: 410425

Location: Aspatria, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Aspatria

Built-Up Area: Aspatria

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Aspatria St Kentigern

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Aspatria

Listing Text

NY 14 SW ASPATRIA KING STREET
Aspatria

7/17 Church of
St Kentigern

11.4.67 II*

Parish church. 1846-8 by Travis & Mangnell, built on the site of and
incorporating features from a Norman church. Dressed red sandstone,with angle
buttresses and eaves modillions, on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof
with coped gables and cross finials. 6-bay nave with aisles; square 3-storey
west tower with south porch and north vestry; 3-bay chancel has south memorial
chapel. Tower has Norman style west doorway under 2-light windows on 2 levels
and south clockface. Nave has 2-light aisle windows under quatrefoil clerestory
windows. Chancel has 2-light windows and 3-light east window under carved oval
panel inscribed to St Kentigern in Latin. Interior has Norman-style tower arch
and original zigzag Norman arch from porch reused for vestry doorway. Nave has
Early English style arcades on alternate round and polygonal columns. Set at
west end of the nave is part of an Anglo-Danish cross shaft, along with other
contemporary fragments including a carved hog-back coffin. C13 font has square
bowl on 5 shafts. Royal Arms of Queen Anne dated 1711. 1910 aisle windows are
a monument to Mary Lady Lawson. C19 numbered pews. Marble wall plaque to
William Lomas by P. Nixson, Carlisle, 1823. Chancel has C19 piscina and
sedilia. Musgrave memorial chapel has various C18 wall plaques to members of
that family of Hayton Castle.


Listing NGR: NY1471041916

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.