History in Structure

Shoreditch Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Hackney, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.527 / 51°31'37"N

Longitude: -0.0792 / 0°4'44"W

OS Eastings: 533346

OS Northings: 182643

OS Grid: TQ333826

Mapcode National: GBR V6.CS

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.LW09

Plus Code: 9C3XGWGC+Q8

Entry Name: Shoreditch Town Hall

Listing Date: 4 February 1975

Last Amended: 17 March 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1235232

English Heritage Legacy ID: 425851

ID on this website: 101235232

Location: Shoreditch, Hackney, London, EC2A

County: London

District: Hackney

Electoral Ward/Division: Hoxton East & Shoreditch

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Hackney

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Leonard with S Michael, Shoreditch

Church of England Diocese: London

Tagged with: Theatre City hall Seat of local government

Find accommodation in


(South side)

735/35/455 Shoreditch Town Hall


Originally vestry hall, later Shoreditch Town Hall, more recently Borough Health Department but latterly owned by a trust. Building of four phases. Eastern five bays was originally built as a vestry halt in 1866 by C A long. Between 1898 - 1902 W C Hunt incorporated the earlier vestry hall into a monumental Shoreditch Town Hall, following on from the local Government Act of 1899 when the Metropolitan Borough of Shoreditch was created. This comprises a further three bays to the west linked byset-back bay with tower, with vestry hall preserved as a council halt and a new public hall on the first floor. In 1904, this public hall was gutted by fire and completely rebuilt by A W Cross. A rear wing was added to the south in 1936 - 8. Old Street frontage in Classical style with front of Portland stone and sides of stock brick. Two storeys and attics; 9 windows. First floor arcaded with wreaths and palm fronds, elaborate keystones and Corinthian engaged columns. Rusticated ground floor and stone balustraded area. Eastern part has open pediment terminated by paterae with recessed niches with urns on plinths and cambered window with keystone and cast iron balcony. The alterations to the pediment date from the fire of 1904. Ground floor has keystones of mate and female masks. Ionic tetrastyle porch up five steps with curved batustrading. Recessed [ink bay also has round headed window and ground floor has curved pediment and Ionic columns to doorcase. Above the link a square tower of 2 stages with Corinthian pedimented faces: in the tower a torch-bearing figure of Progress steps from niche. Western three bays have pediment with female figures in classical attire representing light and Power with motto "More light more power". First floor has similar arcading to western part, ground floor has central keystone of Mercury, right hand one representing Labour and left side one a king's head. 1936-8 extension to Rivington Street of 4 to 5 storeys red brick with tall stone architrave with municipal shield and motto "More light more power". Original double doorcase
but windows replaced in late C20.

INTERIOR: original Vestry Hall survives from the 1866 building reused as a Council Chamber and is considered the largest and grandest of the London vestry halts. It has engaged Ionic columns and coved ceiling with central panels and elaborate ceiling roses. Entrance Hall has Minton tiled floor, plaster ceiling roses and double staircase with Doric piers and triglyph frieze. First floor Assembly Hall is of 1905 by A W Cross after the fire. It comprises a curved ceiling of 6 bays, ribbed and coffered with glazed skylights, proscenium arch with masks of comedy and tragedy and large shell niche to stage with lyre. The balcony is decorated with cornucopias and the sides and rear of the ground floor are lined in marble panels of three colours. 1898 wing has further well staircase with scrolled cast iron balustrading and wooden handrail and has stained glass window with municipal crest. On the first floor there are a suite of Committee Rooms, one having vaulted ceiling, and curved stained glass windows and retaining original fireplaces and joinery. 1936 - 8 wing has well staircase with metal handrail.
[BOE London: 2 p384 - 5"
Chris Miele's unpublished pretirninary report of 1998.]

Listing NGR: TQ3334582647

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.