This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.431 / 50°25'51"N
Longitude: -3.6849 / 3°41'5"W
OS Eastings: 280424
OS Northings: 60370
OS Grid: SX804603
Mapcode National: GBR QM.T70M
Mapcode Global: FRA 375X.87H
Entry Name: King Edward Vi School
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Last Amended: 16 March 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235862
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426640
Location: Totnes, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Totnes
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Totnes St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
5180 FORE STREET
(King Edward VI School)
(Formerly listed as
King Edward VI Grammar school)
SX 8060 SW 2/27 7.1.52.
Site of C17 house, orchard and chapel, residence of Henry James, Mayor in 1637 and
1651. In 1795 Giles Welsford demolished the chapel and built one behind (in use
until 1799). Welsford rebuilt the house in 1797 when it was called "the Mansion".
Between 1876 and 1887 known as "Hele's School"; proprietor John Kelland. Further
additions circa 1902 to the school, which became the King Edward VI Grammar School
in 1887. 3 storeys. Double fluted with 5 windows. Hipped Welsh slate roof with
red brick stacks. Red brick front with Devonian limestone return walls and rendered
rear elevation. Cornice and parapet. Recessed sash windows with glazing bars;
round-arched ground floor sash windows with glazing bars in round-arched recesses
linked by impost bands. Corinthian prostyle portico with open round-arched pediment
with panelled intrados. Round arched doorway with patterned radial fanlight, cornice
head and raised and fielded panel door with side lights. Interior with open stone
staircase with wrought iron balustrade and swept handrail. Good marble fireplaces
to front rooms on ground and 1st floors with figured decoration. Enriched plaster
cornices to rooms. Hall and staircase with arched openings. House front flanked
by stucco screen wall with arched openings with imposts; north doorway with patterned
grill fan. (M Laithwaite).
Listing NGR: SX8042460369
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings