History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

F Cooke's Eel, Pie and Mash Shop

A Grade II Listed Building in Dalston, Hackney

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5477 / 51°32'51"N

Longitude: -0.0759 / 0°4'33"W

OS Eastings: 533510

OS Northings: 184955

OS Grid: TQ335849

Mapcode National: GBR HD.3KG

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.MCQC

Plus Code: 9C3XGWXF+3J

Entry Name: F Cooke's Eel, Pie and Mash Shop

Listing Date: 25 June 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1235868

English Heritage Legacy ID: 426736

Location: Dalston, Hackney, London, E8

County: Hackney

Electoral Ward/Division: Dalston

Built-Up Area: Hackney

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Mark Dalston

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Shoreditch

Description

The following building shall be added:

KINGSLAND HIGH STREET
TQ 3384
24/512 No 41
(F.Cooke's Eel, Pie & Mash Shop)
II

Eel, Pie & mash shop, restaurant & dining room with
accommodation over. Building 1902-3 by James Hood; shop &
restaurant 1910; rear dining room 1936. Painted brick with stucco
columns and dressings. 4 storeys. 3 bays. Renovated shop front
of original central part-glazed doors with overlight flanked by
large sashes, above marble risers, for the dispensing and display
of eels. Gold lettered fascia between elaborate brackets, with
octagonal 1930s lanterns on curved projecting brackets. Upper
floors with pilasters to each floor at angles. 1st and 2nd floor,
later windows set behind 4 column screens. 3rd floor bracketed
cornice above which a shouldered architraved segmental headed
window with large keystone projects into the pediment. Interior
of shop and restaurant lined with glazed tiles; blue and green
dado with. Art Nouveau Style frieze, cream walls with, to right,
panels containing lozenges of Delft-type scenes of wherries and
ketches harvesting the catch and, to left, large mirrors with
later brass clips of entwined eels, blue patterned cornice
frieze. Marble topped counter with corrugated metal front, marble
topped tables and wooden benches all probably 1930s. entrance
floor with mosaic inscribed "Cooke" with an eel slithering
through the letters and beneath, a shell, inscribed "established
1862", set in waves. Archway to rear of restaurant leads to
kitchen with stained glass panel depicting a monk with an eel in
one of the double doors. To left, the dining room with beige and
green tiled and mirrored walls; lit by 4 glass domes, partly of
stained and patterned glass with enriched architraves in a
panelled ceiling, and architraved lunettes with stained and
patterned glass. Similar tables and benches to restaurant. A rare
surviving example of a once common type of establishment in
London.


Listing NGR: TQ3351084955

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.