This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4312 / 50°25'52"N
Longitude: -3.6858 / 3°41'8"W
OS Eastings: 280366
OS Northings: 60395
OS Grid: SX803603
Mapcode National: GBR QM.T6SP
Mapcode Global: FRA 375X.7X7
Plus Code: 9C2RC8J7+FM
Entry Name: 52, Fore Street
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235939
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426647
Location: Totnes, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Totnes
Built-Up Area: Totnes
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Totnes St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
5180 FORE STREET
SX 8060 SW 2/31 7.1.52.
Circa 1692 merchant's house of "deux corps de batiments" type. Gallery survives;
back block with C17 external stair and mullioned window. Sash windows probably
installed by Mayor Reynell Mitchell in 1784. 3 storeys and attic. 3 window bay.
Welsh slate roof with moulded barge-boards to gable. Masonry party walls of Devonian
limestone; reusing that of No 50 on south side. Timber-framed front with rendered
finish. Jettied 1st and 2nd floors with moulded wooden bressumers. Good eaves bracket
on south side carved with dragon and lion. Architraved, paired sash windows with
glazing bars in attic.lst and 2nd floors with 3 light oriel sash windows with architraves
and glazing bars. Modern shopfront retains coved cornice of C18 shop. C18 lead
rainwater pipe . Interior with original open staircase rising full height of building
with closed string, turned balusters and square newels with ball finials, panelled
dado, and moulded handrail. First floor front room (former fore-hall) with raised
and fielded panel dado, coved plaster cornice and plaster ceiling decorated in high
relief with wreathed panels and cherubs. Decorated plaster panel over fireplace
with initials "LSB" and date "1692". Sections of Chinese-style wall paper date
to circa 1740-50 (V & A]. Some original raised and fielded panel doors. The gallery
has been rebuilt but retains the external late C17 flight of steps to the cottage
with closed string, turned balusters and square newels with ball finials and moulded
handrail. Back block (now cottage, formerly kitchen) altered earlier C19 but retains
6 light mullioned ground floor windows with ovolo mouldings, leaded lights and hoodmould.
Listing NGR: SX8036660395
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings