History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade I Listed Building in Long Sutton, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0247 / 51°1'28"N

Longitude: -2.7577 / 2°45'27"W

OS Eastings: 346956

OS Northings: 125306

OS Grid: ST469253

Mapcode National: GBR MH.HR58

Mapcode Global: FRA 563D.PHB

Plus Code: 9C3V26FR+VW

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 7 February 1986

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236060

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263214

Location: Long Sutton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Long Sutton

Built-Up Area: Long Sutton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Long Sutton

Listing Text

12/148 Church of the Holy Trinity

Anglican Parish Church. Latter half of C15, finished 1493. Local lias stone cut and squared, with Ham stone dressings;
stone slate roofs between stepped coped gabled with finials to chancel and north porch, elsewhere sheet lead roofs
behind parapets Plan of 6 units; 3-bay chancel; 4-bay nave, north and south aisles with single-bay chapel at east end
of each; north and south porches; west tower. Chancel has plinth, string and eaves courses, corner gargoyles, angled
corner and bay buttresses: 5-light mullioned and transomed east window set in hollow pointed arched recess; smaller
3-light windows, 2 each side north and south, and moulded pointed arched doorway to middle bay south side. North aisle
has plinth to chapel only, battlemented parapet with string course and gargoyles; east chapel window of 3 lights,
mullioned and transomed; north chapel and aisle bay 1 have tall 4-light windows, otherwise 3-light windows, all to
match, all in hollow pointed arched recesses, no west window: south aisle similar, but with octagonal stair turret
between chapel and aisle. Both porches simple, with angled corner buttresses and moulded pointed arched doorways; the
south now blocked, with small statue recess and cross over former opening; the north porch has a C20 roof, a statue
niche - possibly C19 - in the east wall, and matching inner doorway with seeming original door and ironwork, including
sanctuary ring. Nave clerestorey has 4-centre arched windows and battlemented parapets, with curious stone head peeping
through on north side. Tower of 4 stages: moulded plinth bands, string courses with gargoyles at top, battlemented
parapets; offset double corner buttresses, changing to single angled buttresses at top stage, with gabletted crocketted
finials: octagonal full height stair turret to south east corner: moulded pointed arched west doorway under square
label with square stops, foliated spandrils, flanked by 2 small statue niches and with a stoup on north side; above, a
5-light window with two traceried transomes, flanked by two slim statue niches; on north side stage 1 are 2 niches with
canopies, south side plain: stage 2 plain, save for clock face on west side: stage 3 has 2-light C15 windows flanked by
canopied niches on all but south side, which has single niche only: top stage could be later - one open and 2 blind
windows to 3 faces, with diagonal pilasters between, open windows having stone pierced baffles, one on west side dated
1622; single open window on south side. Internally, chancel has a ceiled wagon-roof, moulded ribs and plaster panels,
with bosses; a 3-seat sedilia with 4-centre arched heads to recesses, and a C15 piscina; panelled arches into side
chapels, remaining work C19. Chancel arch has fine C15 wood screen, coloured on west face, continued across chapels.
Nave has C15 tie beam roof, the east bay coloured, and C15 arcades: fine coloured timber pulpit, with C20 wood figures
in the statue niches, dated 1455-58, with fly approach stair. Under-tower space has lierne vault, and a C15 octagonal
font with quatrefoil panels, panelled coving to slim base, C17 font cover: in north aisle a small stoup near entrance
to chapel, and in chapel a C17 altar table and some medieval floor tiles: in south aisle a banded chest dated 1653; in
south Chapel the organ. Memorials include tablet to Elizabeth Banbury, died l716, with Corinthian columns and
entablature, side and bottom swags; also a number of C16 and C17 Keinton stone slabs in floor. (VCH, vol III, 1974;
Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Sonerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4695725303

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.