This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3451 / 51°20'42"N
Longitude: 0.2901 / 0°17'24"E
OS Eastings: 559588
OS Northings: 163161
OS Grid: TQ595631
Mapcode National: GBR XD.5SF
Mapcode Global: VHHPF.ZG65
Entry Name: South Ash Manor
Listing Date: 1 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236122
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427041
Location: Stansted, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN15
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Civil Parish: Stansted
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Ash St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 56 SE STANSTED C.P. SOUTH ASH ROAD
1/1 (west side)
South Ash Manor
Manor House. C16 with porch of c.1600 and C19 external and C20 internal
alterations. North front. Red brick plinth, timber-framed above, of vertical
close-studding with plaster infilling. Jettied projections at each end of front.
Plain tiled hipped roof with large gablets and slight catslide extensions to both
sides 2 gabled dormers. 1 stack to left on slope of roof, 1 right ridge stack with arched panelling. 2 storeys and attics; 4 windows, wide glazing bar sashes, except tripartite sash on ground-floor to right of porch, and French casements to left. Small casements under left and right of ground and 1st floor left-hand windows. Central 2-storey gabled porch with decorative exposed framing. Jettied under 1st floor on joists and dragon-beams. Jettied under gable on moulded bressumer. Studded door in moulded surround, flanked by pair of wooden caryatid figures, probably C16, introduced later. 1-storey additions to right and left of front. South front. Red brick with plain tiled roof. Central off-ridge stack and gabled dormer to left. Projecting wings to left and right. 2 storeys and attic; 1- 3- 1 window first floor, 2- 2- 1 ground floor, the central pair of ground-floor openings being doorways. Recess on ground-floor masked by C20 timber-framed conservatory.
Interior. Dining room (originally 'Hall Parlour'). Later C16 painted decoration.Fireplace with chamfered bressumer. Hall. Late C17 fielded panelling, originally
in Dining Room. Early C20 plastered ceiling with Arts and Crafts vine decoration.Drawing room. Early C20 Adamesque fireplace. The house was built by the Hodsoll
family. (after whom the parish of Hodsall Street is named), who retained it until
the C19. This building straddles the boundary of Stansted C.P. (Tonbridge and
Malling District) and Ash-cum-Ridley C.P. (Sevenoaks District) and is therefore,
listed under both parishes.
Listing NGR: TQ5958863161
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings