History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barclay's Bank

A Grade II* Listed Building in Totnes, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4315 / 50°25'53"N

Longitude: -3.6879 / 3°41'16"W

OS Eastings: 280212

OS Northings: 60429

OS Grid: SX802604

Mapcode National: GBR QM.T671

Mapcode Global: FRA 375X.72W

Entry Name: Barclay's Bank

Listing Date: 7 January 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236275

English Heritage Legacy ID: 427231

Location: Totnes, South Hams, Devon, TQ9

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Totnes

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Totnes St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Harberton

Listing Text


1.
5180 HIGH STREET
(South Side)
No 16
(Barclay's Bank)
SX 8060 SW 1/51 7.1.52.

II* GV

2.
Circa 1585 in Dutch Renaissance manner; the front was raised and re-fenestrated
in the later C18, and the ground floor loggia infilled. The building was originally
of "deux corps de batiments" type; the separate kitchen block and gallery were demolished
in 1968. The building became the Naval Bank in 1902. 3 storeys. 3 windows. Hipped
Welsh slate roof. Plastered timber-framed front. Modillion eaves cornice. Decorated
plaster friezes with lozenge motifs and date "1585" and initials "N.B" (1st floor).
Rusticated pilasters on quoins to 1st and 2nd floors. (former frieze of 2nd floor
removed when building was heightened). Later C18, linked, architraved sash windows
to 1st and 2nd floors with glazing bars. Former ground floor loggia with 3 bay
Tuscan colonnade with semi-elliptical arches and enriched spandrels. Mid C19 segmental
arched sash window infill to colonnade. House doorway with re-hung original doors
of 1585 with pilasters carrying semi-elliptical blind arch (repeating motif of colonnade);
rusticated panel infill with wrought iron pegs. Interior remodelled but retains
fine 1st floor plaster ceiling decorated with rib work enriched with floral motifs.
Ceiling beam and frieze decorated with rose motifs and roundels inscribed "M.E."
(M. Laithwaite)


Listing NGR: SX8021260429

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.