This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6917 / 53°41'30"N
Longitude: -1.7906 / 1°47'26"W
OS Eastings: 413924
OS Northings: 421711
OS Grid: SE139217
Mapcode National: GBR HTYR.4C
Mapcode Global: WHC9V.GGKR
Entry Name: Castle Hill House
Listing Date: 12 October 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236280
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427236
Location: Calderdale, HD6
Electoral Ward/Division: Rastrick
Built-Up Area: Brighouse
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rastrick St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BRIGHOUSE THORNHILL ROAD
SE 12 SW RASTERICK
Nos. 215, 217, 219
221 and 227,
Castle Hill House,
Five houses, originally a single small country house. c1800
with later C19 alterations and additions. Coursed rubble
with ashler dressings, and stone slate roofs, 5 stone stacks.
2 storey. East front, has slightly recessed central bay
with 2 round headed doorways, now with windows, and a pair
of Doric columned porches. To the left a square bay
windows with plain sashes, and to the right a Venetian
window with a central glazed door. Above a central
tripartite sash window with eitherside 2 plain sashes.
West, street front very irregular, Nos. 215, 217 and 227
have plain sashes, and an attached glazed entrance porch.
Nos. 219 and 221, possibly the former lodge, has 2 C20
doors, and 2 windows with upper sections having ornate
glazing, 3 upper casements have similar ornate glazing bars.
Attached garden-walls carved ashler with curved coping and
square piers, entrance section has rusticated stone work,
with outer piers, concave walls and inner-piers. Interior
contains early C19 stone staircase with ornate iron
balusters, plus a single fireplace made from fragments of
C17 wooden furniture. Michael Fairless (Margaret Fairless
Barber), the author of The Roadmender was born here in 1869.
Listing NGR: SE1392421711
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings