History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

10 and 12, Church Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Grantham, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8835 / 52°53'0"N

Longitude: -0.6885 / 0°41'18"W

OS Eastings: 488348

OS Northings: 332588

OS Grid: SK883325

Mapcode National: GBR DQG.6R5

Mapcode Global: WHGKN.DSC9

Plus Code: 9C4XV8M6+CH

Entry Name: 10 and 12, Church Street

Listing Date: 24 September 1979

Last Amended: 14 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236307

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382947

Location: Harlaxton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Harlaxton

Built-Up Area: Harlaxton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Harlaxton St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Harlaxton

Listing Text

HARLAXTON
SK8832 CHURCH STREET
1315-0/14/141 (North West side)
24/09/79 Nos.10 AND 12
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET
(North West side)
Yew Tree Cottage (10) and Swiss
Cottage (12))
GV II

House, now 2 houses, and attached boundary wall and cross
shaft. c1700, remodelled c1820-1840, with late C20 additions
and alterations. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings
and steep pitched pantile roof. Single gable stack and
off-centre ridge stack, with brick bases and rendered coped
square double flues. Single storey plus attics; 3 window
range. Two 3-light windows with stone surrounds and chamfered
mullions, and leaded glazing. To left, a door. Above, three
C19 timber framed gabled dormers with shaped brackets and
wooden finials, 2-light leaded casements and wooden mullions.
Right gable has C20 door, canopy and windows. Left gable
rebuilt in brick. Attached stone boundary wall across the
front, approx 25m long, has gabled stone coping to right and
slab coping to left. At the left end, a resited incomplete
octagonal cross shaft.
This building is one of those remodelled in a picturesque
style c1820-1840 by Gregory Gregory, Lord of the Manor of
Harlaxton, following the precepts of JC Loudon.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 361-362; Rowlands G:
Harlaxton Manor: Harlaxton: 1984-: 20-29).


Listing NGR: SK8834832588

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.