History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grosvenor Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in City of Westminster, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.509 / 51°30'32"N

Longitude: -0.1512 / 0°9'4"W

OS Eastings: 528397

OS Northings: 180520

OS Grid: TQ283805

Mapcode National: GBR BF.67

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.BBDJ

Entry Name: The Grosvenor Chapel

Listing Date: 24 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236429

English Heritage Legacy ID: 427413

Location: Westminster, London, W1K

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2880 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER SOUTH AUDLEY
68/88 STREET, Wl
24.2.58 The Grosvenor Chapel
G.V. II*
Grosvenor Estate chapel of ease to the parish of St. George's Hanover
Square. 1729-30 by Benjamin Timbrell. Interior alterations by
N. Comper early C.20. Stock brick with in part later stucco
dressings, slate roof. Similar to St. Peter's Vere Street q.v.,
where Timbrell was builder under Gibbs, but not surprisingly a rather
bolder version with massive pediment gables, that on west front broken
by short tower and octagonal bell stage and slightly clumsy short
spire. Four column Tuscan porch, the original pediment removed in
alterations of 1828 when stucco scrolls and brackets to the main
cornice of the tower were probably added, the tower quoins late C.19
or early C.20. Sides are 6 windows wide, the windows semicircular
arched with stucco architraves. Interior has 3 galleries with square
pillars below and Ionic columns above, the nave ceiling coved, the
aisles groin vaulted. Alterations by Ninian Comper from 1912 in his
mixed style with High Altar reredos advanced and giant Ionic columns
carrying rood screen, creating Lady Chapel in original chancel with
fine plasterwork of c.1730 to ceiling and the original tripartite
reredos articulated by pilasters behind Comper's new Lady Altar.
Finely carved pulpit of c.1730. 3 Comper windows in south aisle.
Survey of London; Vol. XL. London; Vol. I, Pevsner.


Listing NGR: TQ2839780520

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.