History in Structure

Warwick House

A Grade II Listed Building in St James's, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5041 / 51°30'14"N

Longitude: -0.1397 / 0°8'23"W

OS Eastings: 529209

OS Northings: 179991

OS Grid: TQ292799

Mapcode National: GBR DH.S0

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.JGH9

Plus Code: 9C3XGV36+J4

Entry Name: Warwick House

Listing Date: 5 February 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236545

English Heritage Legacy ID: 427575

ID on this website: 101236545

Location: St James's, Westminster, London, SW1A

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields

Church of England Diocese: London

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in


Warwick House
Large town house. 1770-71 by Sir William Chambers (as Errington House),
retaining part of Chambers' fine interior but altered early C19, heightened
with canted bay added to south side in 1853 and exterior remodelled again in
1860. Stuccoed, slate roof. 1860s Renaissance details added to elevations of
early C19 character. 4 storeys and mansard with 2 tiers of dormers. 4-window
wide former entrance front to Green Park; south side to Stable Yard has broad
virtually blind return from Park front, a canted bay and recessed wing of
3 close set windows; 3 windows and blind bay to east side. Chanelled stucco
porch projecting to east with Ionic columned pedimented doorway. Park front
has recessed glazing bar sashes in shallow architraves, those on ground and
1st floor semicircular arched in flat surrounds. Broad panelled quoin pilaster
to right with fleur-de-lis detail in corners of panels; deep main entablature
over 2nd floor; secondary cornice to attic storey; the upper tier of dormers
in mansard treated as oeil de beoufs. The immediate south return is blind,
apart from small "Renaissance" oriel, and is decorated with large moulded
panels with similar detail to quoin pilasters. 3 storey channelled stucco
canted bay with hipped roof and wing with architraved sashes. Blind part of
east front again has the same moulded panel detail. Interior retains Chambers'
D-plan stair compartment with fine, stone geometrical staircase and elegant
wrought iron balustrade of scrolled S pattern; north west ground floor retains
plasterwork and fine statuary marble chimney piece executed by John Walsh from
Chambers' designs; etc.
Survey of London; vol XXX
Sir William Chambers; John Harris

Listing NGR: TQ2987679890

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.