This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5134 / 51°30'48"N
Longitude: -0.1632 / 0°9'47"W
OS Eastings: 527554
OS Northings: 180987
OS Grid: TQ275809
Mapcode National: GBR 7C.JN
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.4724
Entry Name: 1-5, Stanhope Place W2
Listing Date: 10 April 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236638
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427676
Location: Westminster, London, W2
Electoral Ward/Division: Hyde Park
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Evan Hyde Park Crescent
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2780 NE and 2781 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER STANHOPE PLACE,
54/88 ;67/2 W2
10.4.75 Nos.l to 5
Terrace of houses. c.1840-45, probably to design by
George Ledwell Taylor. Stucco, slate roof. Sparing late Greek
detail. 4 storeys, including attic storey, and basements. Each front
2 windows wide, that of No. 5 breaks forward in segmental bow.
Entrances to left of each front with projecting Greek Doric
portico-porches. Recessed glazing bar sashes, those on 1st floor with
cornices. Main entablature continuous over 2nd floor. Continuous
cast iron balcony across 1st floor. Cast iron spear head area
railings. Part of Tyburnia, the post 1827 development of the Bishop
of London's Estate planned by S.P. Cockerell, but laid out to modified plan
by George Gutch.
'The History of Tyburnia', G. Toplis; Country Life 15,22 Nov. 1973.
Listing NGR: TQ2755480987
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings