History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Hollies well House

A Grade II Listed Building in Grantham, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8837 / 52°53'1"N

Longitude: -0.6858 / 0°41'9"W

OS Eastings: 488527

OS Northings: 332613

OS Grid: SK885326

Mapcode National: GBR DQG.7F7

Mapcode Global: WHGKN.FSM5

Plus Code: 9C4XV8M7+FM

Entry Name: The Hollies well House

Listing Date: 24 September 1979

Last Amended: 14 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236786

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382997

Location: Harlaxton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Harlaxton

Built-Up Area: Harlaxton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Harlaxton St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Harlaxton

Listing Text

HARLAXTON
SK8832 HIGH STREET
1315-0/14/194 (East side)
24/09/79 No.67
Well House (No.67) and The Hollies
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET
Well House)
GV II

2 houses. Mid C18, remodelled early C19. Coursed squared stone
and brick, with ashlar dressings and pantile roofs. 2 gable
and single ridge brick stacks. Moulded first floor lintel
band. Coped gables with kneelers. 2 storeys plus garrets; 9
window range. L-plan. Windows have leaded glazing and stone
mullions; those without mullions have stone lintels. Gabled
wing, to right, has 2 single light windows with stone
surrounds and cornices, and above, 2 windows with stone
lintels and a blank shield in a panel between them. Each
return has a 4-centred arched door flanked on the outer side
by a 2-light window. Main block, to left, has a small central
window flanked by 2-light windows with stone surrounds and
mullions. Beyond, cross casements. To right again, a 2-light
mullioned window. Off-centre 4-centred arched board door with
label mould, flanked to right by a cross casement, then a
mullioned cross casement. To left, a cross casement flanked by
single light windows. To right, beyond the wing, a mullioned
2-light window and below, a mullioned cross casement and a
smaller window. End gables have single garret windows.
Adjoining the left gable, a single storey stable, 2 bays, now
a garage.
This building is probably one of those refronted c1790-1820 by
George de Ligne Gregory and remodelled in a picturesque style
c1820-1840 by Gregory Gregory, successive Lords of the Manor
of Harlaxton.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 361-362; Rowlands G:
Harlaxton Manor: Harlaxton: 1984-: 20-29).


Listing NGR: SK8852732612

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.