This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9329 / 52°55'58"N
Longitude: -0.7255 / 0°43'31"W
OS Eastings: 485759
OS Northings: 338042
OS Grid: SK857380
Mapcode National: GBR CNH.3DR
Mapcode Global: WHFJ9.TJPW
Entry Name: Church of Saint Lawrence
Listing Date: 20 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236949
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383023
Location: Sedgebrook, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Sedgebrook
Built-Up Area: Sedgebrook
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Sedgebrook St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK83NE CHURCH LANE
1315-0/3/221 (North side)
20/09/66 Church of St Lawrence
Parish Church. Mid C15, with early C13 north arcade and C14
chancel arch and other fragments. Chancel and south chapel
paid for by Sir John Markham, 1468. Restored 1897. Chancel,
south chapel with stair turret, north chapel, nave with
aisles, north and south porches, west tower.
Coursed squared ironstone with dressings and east end of
Ancaster stone ashlar. Lead roofs. Perpendicular style.
Moulded plinth and coped parapets throughout. Windows have
mainly deeply pointed arches and hood moulds with stops.
Chancel, 3 bays, has crenellated parapet, and diagonal
buttresses to east. 5-light segmental pointed east window with
traceried transom and panel tracery. South side has a pointed
arched 2-light window also with traceried transom. North side
has three linked 2-light windows, set high above a former
vestry, now demolished. Below them, a segment headed doorway
and to its left, and ogee piscina.
South chapel has diagonal buttresses and 3 linked 2-light
windows with cusped lights. East end has a segmental pointed
3-light window with panel tracery. At the south west corner, a
crenellated octagonal turret, 2 stages, with a staircase and a
Single bay north chapel has a coped east end with a segmental
pointed 3-light window with ogee heads and cusped tracery. On
the north side, a similar window with plain panel tracery.
South aisle has four 2-light windows with cusped heads, and at
the west end, a diagonal buttress and a similar window.
North aisle has a buttress to east and a diagonal buttress to
west. 4 windows identical to the south aisle, one of them
raised above the porch.
Parapeted south porch has moulded doorway with single shafts
and hood mould, flanked by diagonal buttresses. INTERIOR has
moulded doorway with hood mould, boarded ceiling with spine
beam, and stone benches.
Unbuttressed, unparapeted north porch has a similar doorway,
flanked to right by a cusped stoup. INTERIOR similar to south
Square west tower, 3 stages, has clasping buttresses to the
lower stages and angle buttresses above, chamfered string
courses, crenellated parapet and gargoyles. To west, a Tudor
arched doorway with hood mould, mask stops and shields in the
spandrels. Above it, a 3-light window with cusped heads and
panel tracery under a stepped hood mould. North side has blank
lower stages. South side has a clock, 1919, on the middle
stage. Bell stage has on each side two 2-light cusped bell
openings under an ogee gable with crest.
INTERIOR rendered, with largely original low pitched roofs
with wooden brackets.
Chancel has a C14 moulded arch with mutilated hood mould and
clustered shaft responds, and a restored perpendicular wooden
screen. The east window is flanked by mutilated canopied
niches in the angles. The south side has an elaborate cusped
piscina and aumbry, and a buttressed and vaulted sedilia with
pendant gables. 2 bay arcade to south chapel, with moulded
arches and central quatrefoil pier. The east bay has brackets
to east and west, on ornate angel corbels. North side has to
east a Tudor arched roll moulded doorway and a small ogee
piscina. To west, an opening to the north chapel similar to
the chancel arch.
South chapel east window has flanking canopied niches in the
angles. South side has to east an aumbry and enriched piscina,
and to west, another piscina. West end has a stone screen with
door and an unglazed 2-light window, with a wooden rood loft
North chapel, now organ chamber, has a restored perpendicular
screen with rood loft above. Small piscina in south east
Nave has early C13 north arcade, 3 bays, with double chamfered
round arches, linked hood mould and round piers. C15 south
arcade has moulded pointed arches with hood moulds, and
At the west end, tall moulded tower arch with round responds
and C20 screen.
South aisle has to east a moulded pointed arched doorway to
the stair turret, and an altered, moulded west door, both with
hood moulds. North aisle has regular fenestration. Both aisles
have restored lean-to roofs.
Fittings include octagonal C11 scalloped font, restored
traceried panelled oak pulpit dated 1634, on C19 stone base,
and several benches and stalls, C14 and C15, with unusual
poppyheads and candle holders. Marble benefactions tablet,
Memorials include a small incised slab, 1494, to Dorothy
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 638-639; Austin F: St
Lawrence Church, Sedgebrook; a short history: Sedgebrook:
Listing NGR: SK8575938042
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings