This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5586 / 52°33'31"N
Longitude: -0.6841 / 0°41'2"W
OS Eastings: 489303
OS Northings: 296457
OS Grid: SP893964
Mapcode National: GBR DVB.FWC
Mapcode Global: WHGM6.GYGC
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237065
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428270
Location: Thorpe By Water, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Thorpe by Water
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Seaton All Hallows
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
THORPE BY WATER
SP 89 NE
10.11.55 Manor House.
House. Left wing is dated EHM 1691 on plaque in gable end; wing projecting to
right is late C16-early C17 but altered and truncated. Left wing has limestone
ashlar front and gable end, and rubble stone rear wall; right wing is rendered.
Collyweston slate roofs with coped gables. Ashlar chimneys, cruciform to centre
of left wing, the right wing with pair of square shafts linked by entablature
cap. Now L-plan, the left wing formerly of lobby entry type, the right wing
being the surviving part of a former T-plan building with front wing demolished.
2 storeys and attic. Left wing has 2 main bays and central chimney bay, with
chamfered plinth and eaves, raised first floor band course and rusticated quoins
to left. Ovolo-moulded limestone mullion windows with raised cavetto moulded
surrounds and leaded glazing, the main bays with 3-light windows, the centre with
2-light window over C20 single light. Single light replaces former lobby entry.
Left gable end has 3-light windows to main floors and 2-light window to attic.
C20 gabled projection and conservatory to rear. Right wing is gabled and
projecting, of one bay, with 4-light ovolo-moulded stone windows to left return
and front gable. These windows have king mullions, casement cornices and leaded
glazing, the ground floor windows being extended in height. Set diagonally
across angle between wings is C20 door in stone doorcase re-sited from centre of
left wing. Doorcase has moulded architrave frame, pulvinated frieze and moulded
cornice. Interior: right wing has moulded and stopped stone fireplace with
4-centred arch, and chamfered first floor cross beams with fine bar stops; fine
late C17 staircase in bay linking the 2 wings, with sturdy twisted balusters,
flattish handrail and panelled newels; winder stair to attic in far left corner
of left wing; left wing also has wooden lintels to fireplaces, 2-panel doors to
former lobby and heavily moulded box cornice, possibly the top of a former
dresser, in left bay.
Listing NGR: SP8930396457
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings