History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thorpe by Water, Rutland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5589 / 52°33'32"N

Longitude: -0.6838 / 0°41'1"W

OS Eastings: 489326

OS Northings: 296491

OS Grid: SP893964

Mapcode National: GBR DVB.FYG

Mapcode Global: WHGM6.GYM4

Entry Name: The Old Manor House

Listing Date: 10 November 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1237181

English Heritage Legacy ID: 428272

Location: Thorpe By Water, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Thorpe by Water

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Seaton All Hallows

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Seaton

Listing Text

SP 89 NE
4/152

THORPE BY WATER,
MAIN STREET,
The Old Manor House

(Formerly listed as Tudor House)

10.11.55

GV II*

House. Dated 1597 on small stone tablet not necessarily original to house. Of
at least 2 c.1600-early C17 builds. Coursed limestone rubble, Collyweston slate
roof, coped gables, ashlar chimneys with pairs of square shafts to left and
between right bays. L-plan, with altered range of former outbuildings forming
U-plan. 2 storeys and attic, 3 bay front. Windows have ovolo-moulded limestone
mullions and varying cornices. All front windows are of 4 lights, those to left
bay each with one light blocked and quadrant cornice above. Windows in right
bays have casement cornices, and lower windows have lowered sills. To right of
left bay is a C20 half-glazed door recessed behind a C17 limestone door surround
with stops to mouldings, 4-centred arch and casement cornice. Right gable end
has 3-light window with cyma recta cornice to ground floor, C20 3-light concrete
window in matching style to first floor, and 2-light attic window. Similar
windows to rear wing, mostly with casement cornices, the attic window in gabled
dormer. To rear of left bay is a range of former outbuildings and bakery, now of
only one storey with flat C20 roof, but formerly higher. W side of this wing
incorporates older fragments, with C20 window set between moulded stone jambs and
with moulded wooden fireplace lintel above. There is also a moulded stone door
lintel. Interior: left bay has large open fireplace with arched window and
wooden lintel shaped into depressed arch; moulded stone fireplace with 4-centred
arch moved from room above to ground floor of right bay. Other first floor rooms
have similar stone fireplaces, that in centre bay with stone box cornice.
Another similar fireplace in attic of rear wing. Rear wing also has original
winder stair with knob handles to newel post, and re-set stone tablets with
inscriptions commemorating John Osborne, a nonconformist who died 1668. Tablets
originally set into wall of orchard. Stop-chamfered spine beams. Left bay has
been partitioned so as to provide a cross-passage.


Listing NGR: SP8935696463

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.