This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8549 / 52°51'17"N
Longitude: -2.6474 / 2°38'50"W
OS Eastings: 356502
OS Northings: 328801
OS Grid: SJ565288
Mapcode National: GBR 7M.S5G7
Mapcode Global: WH9C7.9HKP
Plus Code: 9C4VV933+X2
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 16 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237198
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428402
Location: Weston-under-Redcastle, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Weston-under-Redcastle
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Weston under Redcastle
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 5628-5728 REDCASTLE C.P.
17/189 Church of St. Luke
Shown on O.S. map as Chapel of St. Luke.
Chapel of ease, now parish church. 1791 on medieval site; chancel,
vestry and restoration 1879. Red sandstone ashlar, rock-faced to chancel
and vestry; machine tile roofs with coped verges and ornamental cresting.
Nave; chancel; west tower; south porch and vestry. Tower: in 2 stages
with C18 corner pilasters, moulded string course, cornice and parapet
with late C19 crocketed corner finials. Pointed window with simple
C19 plate tracery to first stage on west; similar blind openings on
north and south; late C19 sexfoil window below string course on west.
Belfry also has windows with C19 plate tracery on each side. Nave:
north side unbuttressed in 4 bays with paired broad lancets similar
to those in tower. South side has 2 windows with plate tracery to
centre, small late C19 Early English style doorway and trefoil-headed
lancet to right. Late C19 gabled timber porch to left over contemporary
pointed doorway. Chancel: east window has 3 broad cusped lancets with
2 quatrefoils and one sexfoil above; cusped lancet with cusped trefoil
above on north. Gabled south vestry has 2 lancets on south side.
Interior: very plain with late C19 arch-braced collar beam roof in
4 bays to nave with cusped struts forming octofoils. Late C19 pointed
chancel arch on corbelled responds and trussed rafter roof to chancel.
Fittings and furnishings including stained glass, numbered pews and
octagonal late Perpendicular-style font all late C19. Monument: wall
memorial to George Downward (died 1809), nave west wall: urn on inwardly
sloping chest tomb. 2 boards in tower commemorate rebuilding of church
in 1791 and 1879 restoration. Originally a dependent chapelry of Hodnet,
much of the 1791 rebuilding was paid for by Sir Richard Hill, second
baronet of Hawkstone. B.O.E. p.312; D. H. S. Cranage, The Churches of
Shropshire, Part 8 (1906) p.734.
Listing NGR: SJ5650228801
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings