History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Row of Six Memorial Stones Between 7 and 11 Metres South of Nave of Church of Saint John

A Grade II Listed Building in Terrington St. John, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7183 / 52°43'5"N

Longitude: 0.2776 / 0°16'39"E

OS Eastings: 553931

OS Northings: 315837

OS Grid: TF539158

Mapcode National: GBR M2M.JZM

Mapcode Global: WHJP5.7XFZ

Entry Name: Row of Six Memorial Stones Between 7 and 11 Metres South of Nave of Church of Saint John

Listing Date: 24 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1237212

English Heritage Legacy ID: 428330

Location: Terrington St. John, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE14

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Terrington St. John

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Terrington St John

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Tilney Saint Lawrence

Listing Text

TERRINGTON ST. JOHN CHURCH ROAD
TF 5315

15/20 Row of 6 memorial stones
between 7 and 11 m South
of Nave of Church of St.
John

G.V. II

Row of headstones dated between 1747 and 1833. Limestone. Group includes
(a) rectangular stone with segmental set-back top. Oval inscription panel
below carved decoration comprising floral and vegetative scrolls. (b)
rectangular stone with coved set-back segmental top. Pair of Ionic columns
frame bowed circular inscription panel and support moulded entablature.
Rosettes fill spandrels of inscription panel. In head a winged cherub. (c)
stone with scrolled top dropping to lugs right and left. Below carved winged
cherub head a bowed oval inscription panel. (d) stone with scrolled top
dropping to lugs right and left. Below carved winged cherub head a bowed oval
inscription panel. Identical to (c). (e) rectangular stone with coved
segmental set-back top. Pair of Ionic columns support moulded architrave and
frame fielded square inscription panel. Above entablature 2 winged cherub
heads. (f) rectangular stone with segmental top. Inscription panel surrounded
by carved foliage in low relief.


Listing NGR: TF5393115837

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.