This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7184 / 52°43'6"N
Longitude: 0.2776 / 0°16'39"E
OS Eastings: 553931
OS Northings: 315853
OS Grid: TF539158
Mapcode National: GBR M2M.JZL
Mapcode Global: WHJP5.7XFV
Plus Code: 9F42P79H+92
Entry Name: Church of Saint John
Listing Date: 11 August 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264266
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428328
Location: Terrington St. John, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE14
Civil Parish: Terrington St. John
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Terrington St John
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TERRINGTON ST. JOHN CHURCH ROAD
15/19 Church of St. John
Parish church. Early C14 church, remodelled C15. Tower of late C13 origin.
Nave, aisles and chancel. Building first rendered 1835, tower restored 1843,
remainder 1853. Rendered Barnack stone and some brick. Slate and lead roofs.
South-west tower originally detached. 3 stages with angle buttresses stepped
to belfry where they become polygonal. Lancets to north, south and west on
ground floor. 2-light cusped ringing chamber windows and 2-light ogee cusped
belfry windows. Crenellated parapet with corner turrets capped with ball
finials upon tapering stalks. Tower connected to south aisle by 3 storey
extension comprising undercroft, priests' room and 2 passageways. 2 square-
headed lancets to ground floor. Plain tiled roof slopes to second storey.
This passageway lit through one pointed quatrefoil. Square brick walk gives
external access to ringing chamber door in tower. Set-off to gabled top storey
which is a passage between nave roof and tower staircase. One cusped lancet
to south, hollow chamfered arched doorway to clerestory and roof of stone
slabs. North facade of this extension is a sheer wall pierced intermittently
by lancets. C13 undercut moulded west nave doorway with hood moulding just
embracing ogival form. 2 orders engaged shafts. C15 5-light transomed west
window above. Stepped buttress to north. Early C14 2-light reticulated west
window of north aisle. Angle buttress to north-west corner. Aisle windows
of 3-lights with supermullions and C15 date except first bay of nave : on south
and north a 2-light C14 Y tracery window with rounded trefoils. Clerestory
of alternating circular and arched windows, the circles with cusped 4-petal
flowers arranged diagonally, the remainder of 2 trefoil centres supporting
a cusped punched vescia in centre. Gabled south porch with 2 side buttresses
north and south. Arched entrance with double wave and roll and hollow
mouldings. 2 square spirlets flank gable. Porch with barrel vault supported
on moulded transverse ribs. Late C13 undercut inner south door mouldings.
Nave clerestory with parapets terminating at east end in polygonal turrets.
Turret to north expanded into rood stair turret. In east gable 2 square-headed
windows. Chancel lit by 2 3-light C15 windows to south and one to north.
South priests' door. Angle buttresses to east. 5-light Perpendicular east
window. East bay on north side blank except for 2 segmental arched niches.
Further niche below window in west bay. Interior. 5 bay double chamfered
arcade on octagonal piers. Moulded bases and polygonal capitals. Circular
clerestory windows over apexes of arches. Interior of west door with basket
rere arch. Stilted rere arches to north and south nave doors with head stops.
Flat nave roof dated 1688 comprising tie beams dropping to wall-posts an arched
braces. 3 tiers moulded butt purlins. Aisle roofs of principals resting on
wall posts, each alternate principal with a straight brace. One tier roll
edged butt purlins. South aisle roof partly altered, north is C19. Chancel
arch piers encased in panelling and painted to imitate pilasters, the arch
also encased. Arched rood stair door to north. C20 chancel roof of principal
and collar construction. Opposing priests' doors. 2 arched aumbries in north
chancel wall. South aisle east chapel with piscina of rounded trefoil form.
In nave 5 C18 box pews with plain panelling and HL hinges. Octagonal font
dated 1632 : traceried stem and strapwork to bowl. Painted Royal Arms to George
II. Undercroft of passage between tower and south aisle in form of barrel
vaulted passage with 2 chamfered ribs leading to base of tower through site
of original tower east door. Passage of brick, as is interior of tower.
Priest's room above also barrel vaulted in brick, again with 2 ribs. 2 arched
recesses to north. 2 upper passages similarly barrel vaulted.
Listing NGR: TF5393115853
Other nearby listed buildings