History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reformed Church and Attached Parish Rooms

A Grade II Listed Building in Ipswich, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0599 / 52°3'35"N

Longitude: 1.1456 / 1°8'44"E

OS Eastings: 615735

OS Northings: 244837

OS Grid: TM157448

Mapcode National: GBR TMP.VWC

Mapcode Global: VHLBS.TH07

Entry Name: United Reformed Church and Attached Parish Rooms

Listing Date: 6 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1237380

English Heritage Legacy ID: 428590

Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1

County: Suffolk

District: Ipswich

Town: Ipswich

Electoral Ward/Division: Gipping

Built-Up Area: Ipswich

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: St Matthew Triangle and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Whitton

Listing Text

BARRACK CORNER
TM 1544 5/261A United Reformed Church and
attached Parish rooms

GV II

United Reformed Church, formerly Presbyterian and attached Parish Rooms. 1870
additions c.1890. Designed by Frederick Barnes. Built by Henry Luff. In the
Gothic Revival style. Kentish rags tone rubble with ashlar and blue brick dressings. Slate roofs with moulded coped gables and kneelers, plus ornate iron ridge decoration. Trefoil pierced parapets, and chamfered plinth. Nave and north-western tower with spire, plus transepts and polygonal apse. Eastern entrance front has nave gabled wall flanked by single projecting gabled porches topped by cross finials and with pointed arched doorways. Between, 3 single pointed lancets, and above a large 5 light pointed arched window with Geometrical tracery and a hood mould and banded blue brick and ashlar voussoirs. To the south a polygonal stair turret and to the north a square tower, with double lancet bell-openings to each face and above a broached ashlar spire with a single set of gabled lucarnes. Nave north wall has 3 tall 2 light pointed arched windows, and to the west a projecting gabled transept. The apse has 3 small triple lancet windows. To the south-west the gabled parish rooms in a similar style. Interior has a fine wooden roof and contemporary wooden fittings, though with white washed walls.


Listing NGR: TM1573544837

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.